[Ambassadors] Resignation from the Ambassadors project.

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 17:10:24 UTC 2008

Hello,

On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 13:09 -0300, Pablo Barrera wrote:
> Hi
>
>         Fedora Ambassadors should be (and it seems, largely are) for Fedora
>         first and their region second.
>
> I am not agree. You are ambassador from a worldwide organization, but you are focused
>  in your area. Dont spect than other countries, should resign their indentity or needs. This
> is "common first world acception". You are concentred the problem in EMEA and USA, and
> theres a lot of ambassadors out of this places.

I live in Lebanon, which isn't part of the US or Europe (though it is
part of EMEA for the purpose of Fedora).  And I definitely don't believe
that any ambassador should resign their identity or needs to a vague
hand-waving "greater good".

What I'm trying to say (and possibly saying very poorly) is that this
kind of competition between the Fedora Ambassador regions is bad.  We
should be working together, not against each other.  That's what I mean
by Fedora first, region second.

I am very aware that Fedora Ambassadors are far larger than EMEA and the
US, but it seems that this whole problem has risen because a member of
the latter distrusts the former (though this might be completely wrong).

>           And the new FAmSCo *must* make sure that
>         their highest priority is Fedora Ambassadors, not their particular
>         region (no matter what has gone before).
>
> I dont know how is your condition in your region, as you dont know how is our condition here.
> So , the highest priority for Ambassador is "spread fedora", this is the mission, the statement
> and the purpose of Ambassador.

Yes, exactly!!  The point I was making is that FAmSCo can't show
favoritism (which seemed to be the original accusation).  Note that I'm
not insinuating that FAmSCo ever has shown favoritism or ever will.

You as an Ambassador will focus on your region.  FAmSCo's job (at least
as I understand it) is to be a support to you as much as is possible.

>         If we succeed in this, the different regions will work together
>         effectively, Fedora Ambassadors will grow and people like Bob will come
>         back.  If we fail, then Fedora Ambassadors will be divided into
>         bickering groups that fade away into irrelevance.
>
> Fedora Ambassadors are divided right now. I understand that the developing of the distro
> must be focused in Red Hat based countries, it is common sense.But  about Ambassador
> roles, the leaving up of Bob, represents the inner crisis, that Ithink the new management of FAMSCO
> and the important continuing role of Max, wants to resolve.

All I was trying to say is that we as Fedora Ambassadors really need to
make sure that we're working together rather than fighting each other.

As for the development being focused on "Red Hat based countries", I
disagree.  I'm currently working on yum-presto, a yum plugin designed to
reduce the download size of updates.  Seeing as most "Red Hat based
countries" have bandwidth to spare, this isn't very useful for them.
However, for those of us with limited bandwidth, it's very helpful.

>         Bob, we will be sorry to see you go.  I hope you will return when you
>         see that your fears for FAmSCo's future aren't realized.
>

> Yes, the same...
>
> Best regards
>
> P.

And the same to you.  :)