[Ambassadors] Fedora media requests

David Nalley david at gnsa.us
Thu Jul 3 16:05:40 UTC 2008

IIRC, the reimbursement model was set up due to the high costs of
international shipping. Shipping costs for tshirts and CDs often outstripped
the cost of the goods themselves. Not to mention possible delays getting
things across the various borders.

However, Clint is in the US and cost to ship things within the US is
relatively inexpensive, and as he indicates it is more costly for him to
have 500 discs burned or pressed than it is to ship him 500 CDs that are
already pressed. This is particularly the case given that RH is getting
discs pressed to begin with - so they've already done the work.

Clint - as an aside - since the 'get stuff' page has been inactive, I've
listed my event and contacted Thomas or Max - they've been great about
filling requests, sometimes even on short notice. I perceive that the
unwritten rule is that in the US people like Max act with the same
responsibilities as Rodrigo Padula, the new LATAM Ambassador Coordinator
when it comes to handing out swag and CDs.

I know that there are significant differences between RH and Canonical, but
the reality is that Ambassadors are known, most like Clint have been around
for a while. There certainly shouldn't be more hoops to jump through to get
swag or media than what a LoCo leader would have to go through with
Canonical - shipping challenges aside. With RH EMEA, the LATAM Coordinator
(who would ostensibly receiving funding to burn or press discs locally), and
RH in NA (I admit ignorance of how APAC would be handled) I can't imagine
that it would ever come out better for RH or the Ambassador to press or burn
discs on their own unless it was for a really large event like LinuxTag or
FOSDEM.