[Ambassadors] Ambassador NA meeting minutes

Karlie Robinson karlie_robinson at webpath.net
Wed Jul 16 19:08:26 UTC 2008

Paul W. Frields wrote:
> Karlie, given the above -- what would be needed for us to proceed with a
> plan like this, from your perspective?

We've replied to a couple of emails from David Nalley as he followed up
on his meeting action item.  I'd be happy to send you a copy of the off
list discussion.  I'm also planning on attending the next IRC meeting.
> Here are some of the questions
> that come to my mind, but feel free to add others:
>
>  * lead time required

Obviously, the more discs you want, the longer the lead time.  We can
confidently do 100 discs with 24 hours turn around.  With pre-planning
we can get as many as 175 out in 24 hours.  The good news is that we can
get the graphics and print the disc well in advance of the ISO release
and be ready to drop a significant number of discs on NA within a day or
two of release.  Printing is the most time consuming for us, but it's
usually less critical and finalized long before you've got an ISO ready.

>  * minimum/maximum orders

We are a burn on demand company so the minimum is 1.  We don't have a
maximum, and can print burn any number of discs in house.

>  * setup fees

There are none.  We're already creating Fedora discs for our customer
base and the Free Media project.  Besides, it doesn't take that long to
get a SVG into the right format, nor does it take that long to run a
checksum on the ISO.

>  * shipping costs

Based on weight.  A large Flat Rate Priority mail box from the USPS is
$12.50 and will hold up to 300 discs.

>  * artwork formats

Anything we can open with the GIMP is the right format.  If the artwork
is a JPG or other fixed format, we'd like it to be at least 1000x1000px.

Square, and there's no need to block out the corners or the hub area.
Hub is more important to be solid since we'll adjust the print settings
to print the hub area.  Though a blank circle in the middle doesn't look
that bad.

>  * samples for quality checking

Once upon a time I sent a disc to Max and can certainly send you a
sample.  There are also some of you out there who have gotten our discs
for Launch parties and other events, so you don't have to take my word
for anything.

In the mean time, you can visit the following links for actual disc
photos.  (note: we use a silver print surface that gives the colors a
translucence that catches the light - thus, pretty in your hand but hard
to photograph)

http://on-disk.com/resale/data/files//iycc_printed-proof.jpg - Disc for
Resale
http://www.webpath.net/data/files//customwedding.JPG - from
On-disk.com/custom
http://www.webpath.net/data/files//mint_photoproof.JPG - the disc in
this image was photographed and then mailed to Ireland.  The Project
impressions are discussed at -
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/Linux_Mint_Newsletter_Issue_16

~Karlie