[Ambassadors] Fedora project

MarĂ­a Leandro tatadbb at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 16:52:58 UTC 2008

Last Weekend I gave a conference about some apps (gimp, inkscape and
blender) and Mr Stallman was there too (It seems that he is travelling all
arround Latin America this days) and be prepared because he only recomends 3
distros.. I was talking to him and ask a little question about wich distro
was more near to be aproved by te gpl v3.... he didn't answered.

If you can prepare some material about this gpl.v3 and some other legal
stuff... you could make some difference :D

Good luck!!!

2008/7/24 Juan M. Rodriguez <nushio at gmail.com>:

> 2008/7/23 Alejandro Acosta <aacosta at fedoraproject.org>:
>
>> Hello Ambassador folks
>>
>> I've been invited to participate at a little event in my Hometown State
>> University [1] this October , the main focus of the event would be free
>> software and I'm supposed to speak about the Fedora project. along other
>> participants including Richard Stallman !!!!. Personally I feel very honored
>> to share the same forum with Mr Stallman and when people ask me I always
>> answer that it is just as if you're learning to play piano and someone asks
>> you to perform along Mozart.
>>
>> Anyway, I'm working on my presentation and looking through the
>> ambassador's resources I found Rahul's very illustrative and filled with a
>> lot of helpful information [2],  although it does not contain the most
>> recent one. Can anyone help me find the updated numbers? Other useful
>> information will be appreciated also.
>>
>> My second point its a little more complicated since it implies
>> philosophical issues. Mr Stallman explains in his publications that it is
>> not exact to use the word "linux" to refer to an OS or a particular distro
>> since Linux is only the kernel and the rest of the OS is somehow derived
>> from its original work  (bash, editor, compilers, etc). [3]  Question: Do we
>> at Fedora share and honor this principle? Shall we refer to our and other
>> distros as GNU/Linux as he suggests?
>>
>> Other thing that confuses me is that Stallman states that open source is a
>> motto of a movement that was formed as a reaction against the free software
>> movement.[4]  He even says that he refuses to participates in "open source"
>> or "linux" events  but he's willing to participate in events denominated
>> "Free Software  and Open Source? " or so as long as his speech is not the
>> main focus of the event.
>>
>> I saw the words "open source" a lot along many Fedora presentations, but
>> my doubts still remain. Do we have any policy regarding Open Source and/or
>> Free Software?  It is going to be hard to me to debate about freedom against
>> RMS so I would prefer only to talk about our project, but stating clearly
>> what we stand for.
>>
>> It is not my intention to start an even bigger internal debate within our
>> strong and happy community but it is to get some help in getting me clarify
>> these question.
>>

>> Regards
>>
>> Alejandro Acosta
>> Fedora Ambassador
>> Chihuahua, Mexico
>>

>> PS The official name and dates of the event are not yet defined so this is
>> why I have not posted it in the events wiki, I hope I'll receive
>> confirmation within a few days
>>

>> [1] http://www.uach.mx
>> [2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Image:Presentations_Fedora_overview.pdf
>> [3] http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html

> [...]