[Ambassadors] Utah Open Source Conference 2008

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 17:21:50 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-23 at 10:13 -0600, Clint Savage wrote:
> > I hadn't seen any responses here, but I am definitely going to this
> > show.  If any other local or regional NA ambassadors are going, now
> > would be a good time to respond on the list. :-)
> >
> > We have a booth or table for Fedora, AIUI.  Since I haven't done one of
> > these shows before, I'm not sure how the logistics work.  Here's my best
> > shot:
> >
> > 1.  We find out how much space we have at the booth/table.
>
> It will either be a 10x10 booth or a 6' table.  We're working on booth
> rentals now.
>
> > 2.  We figure out what we can do with that space.
>
> Electricity will be available, as will wireless networking.  It
> appears there *may* be wired networking availability, but we've yet to
> test it out.
>
> > 3.  We figure out how to get appropriate equipment, schwag, bannering,
> > etc. to cover those goals.
> > 4.  We make sure that stuff ends up at UTOSC by the time we're there to
> > set up.
> > 5.  We return that which requires it.
> >
> > I guess this is pretty rudimentary, but I just wanted to open the
> > conversation with that.
> >
> > Other notes:
> > * I'll be there with a laptop, and I am going to try to get a OLPC XO to
> > show at the booth as well.  Is anyone else bringing one?
>
> I have an OLPC XO that could be used until Saturday, where I plan to
> use it in the try-it lab.  I also have an EEEPC, which currently runs
> F-9.  I won't have need of it that week except on Saturday, so if you
> would like it.
>
> > * We don't have a formal "USB creation station" but with an attendance
> > in the hundreds, can we make do with a laptop?  And should we create
> > advertisements for this offering?
>
> I thought there were already advertisements for a creation station (or
> a laptop, which would probably be fine). Here's what I found:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing/LiveUsbCreator
>
> > * What schwag is already headed for this show?
>
> Alex Maier(sp?) sent me 100 DVDs and 300 CDs which should arrive any
> day now.  I'll check the shipping status today.

So we basically have about $700 or so into which we need to fit the
following costs:
* posters
* schwag
* anything else we want to pay for

Here's an idea that I already sent to Clint, but I want to get the
planning out on the list so we don't miss good ideas from other people!

* Anyone helping out at the booth should get a shirt, to say "thanks for
helping out."  We can limit this to a reasonable number, obviously --
for this size show, 4-6 should be plenty, right?

* We spend some of the money on low-cost schwag.
** Pens and stickers we can get from BrandFuel -- not much selection,
but easier to get our hands on quickly.
** If we want other schwag, it means more work, probably for someone
local in Utah, but better selection (and maybe better prices).

* We spend some of the money on posters, which have to be produced
locally.

* If there are people coming in to help from out of town, we should
discuss offering a travel allowance.

With only $700 or so to spend, that really limits the travel allowance,
but $100 or so could make a difference for someone.

--
Paul W. Frields