[Ambassadors] NA Ambassadors Meeting Log 2008-07-22

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Tue Jul 29 16:10:35 UTC 2008

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008, Francesco Ugolini wrote:

> Sorry I missed the point. Are you talking about the CD ordering? We
> have discussed about it both in the list and in some of our meetings.
> That doesn't mean that FAmSCo doesn't take care of this topic, as
> FAmSCo we are focused on helping community and trying to simplify the
> Ambassadors life. Sometimes it requires time and sometimes it doesn't
> work perfectly, we are here to learn from our mistakes and if we have
> done something, we will try to repair our lacks. Personally I ask
> every FAmSCo meeting if there is a specific issue and I'll try to do
> my best trying to reply to the core M-L topics, many times it works,
> some times fails, so, don't see this as a neglect action, but as a
> "bug".

I think all of FAMSCo recognizes that the path to success leads in
pushing swag production into local parts of the world, and allowing
those regions to pool together resources as necessary to get the best
prices.

I'm working on a visual aid that shows (based on the decisions that have
been made at local meetings on NA, SA, and EMEA ambassadors) the
"responsible parties" for various regions.  I hope to have a DRAFT
VERSION ready to show the Ambassadors list in the next day or two.
It's currently being reviewed by FAMSCo.

I'm also planning to re-work the FedoraEvents/Organization page to
reflect the decisions being made in North America and the larger model
that Ambassadors is growing into.

Within a relatively short amount of time, I hope that when budget
allocations are made by FAMSCo, that money can be placed directly into
the hands of regional leaders to produce swag for their events in
whatever way they feel is most efficient.  The event reports will speak
for themselves if the money is being spent well, or disappearing into a
black hole.  People will self-determine the ways to get the most value
out of their budget.  We're already a ways down this path, to be honest.

> FAmSCo is mainly composed by EMEA members elected by the whole
> community. Personally (I'm sure everyone in FAmSCo) I'm working
> independently from my country, FAmSCo is focusing on Ambassadors
> global/local challenges, we demonstrate it and I think you can trust
> us. FAmSCo people won't to teach you how to run an event, but if it's
> needed help Ambassador following the right way: we share our knowledge
> and we learn from your feedback and from your events. What I can say
> is that from a FAmSCo perspective is easy to see in a wide range and
> that make FAmSCo a trustworthy platform to manage the community.
>
> FAmSCo is working on the localization, that means that the local
> knowledge base will be enhanced by local ambassadors and it will
> became the first resource for local ambassadors, like the local
> events/activities management. In that way, I'm happy to see what NA is
> doing and I agree completely in the way you are following.

FAMSCo is elected on a yearly basis, and if the end result of the
current FAMSCo membership is a solid, working model of local
accountability worldwide that is working out its bugs and producing good
results, then this past year can be deemed a success.

FAMSCo's membership is 7 -- currently there are 4 EMEA residents, 2
North America residents (though John Babich is quite the world
traveler), and 1 South American resident.

I think it would be wise for the Ambassadors on a whole to continue to
ensure that FAMSCo has representatives from all parts of the world on
it.  I think a regional Ambassadors model will lead to that end result
by default, because local leaders will emerge and gain the respect of
everyone.

--Max