[Ambassadors] NA Ambassadors Meeting 2008-07-30 IRC Log

Karlie Robinson karlie_robinson at webpath.net
Wed Jul 30 11:44:07 UTC 2008

David Nalley wrote:
> [21:19] <Karlie> !
> [21:19] <gregdek> Karlie?
> [21:19] <herlo> large events that is
> [21:19] <Karlie> at on-disk we're doing a load of USB
> [21:19] <gregdek> Oo!
> [21:19] <Karlie> the dome tags are very professional and we're also
> using hang tags
> [21:20] <Karlie> dome tags are puffy sort of thing
> [21:20] <herlo> what about lanyards?  Is that a hang tag?
> [21:20] <herlo> Karlie: samples?
> [21:20] <Karlie> the hang tags are shrink plastic with a cord off the
> back of the stick
> [21:20] <herlo> ahh, okay, I know what those are
> [21:20] * jds2001 still not sure
> [21:21] <Karlie> I can post an image to the list tomorrow
> [21:21] <jds2001> ok
> [21:21] <herlo> Karlie: that'd be great
> [21:21] <Karlie> eof

Now I remember why I didn't have a link to share with you last night -
the picture I have on file is pretty crappy.
http://www.webpath.net/data/files//usbtag.jpg

They do look better in person and if that's the route you want to go, I
can share with you (off list) how I made them.

And yes, I seem to be turning into the Martha Stewart of the Linux world.

The dome tags - http://www.dometag.com/ - are also a very professional
way to go.  They're more than a simple sticker and I've used them in the
past.  (case badges - when cases had badge spots)

Both of these methods would allow you to custom brand a USB without
custom printing every single drive.

You could also consider tags as SWAG items to be added to BYOUSB at
Events.  Ambassadors could sell USB at cost (cost recovery) and use any
ole computer to load the sticks.  Once done, you brand it with either
type of tag.

Also, we're finding that Kingston is the most reliable USB for Linux.
There are sticks that will claim to work with certain kernels, but
usually it's only for lower storage - ie under 2gig.

As far as price, my main wholesaler is usually more expensive than
Amazon.com or other retailers, so even we're shopping for USB deals when
our stock runs low.

~Karlie