[Ambassadors] thinking about 2009

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Nov 10 19:45:57 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 10:04:38PM +0500, Amit Caleechurn wrote:
> Personally I think people judge us, the project from the
> image we project of ourselves and that is why they insist upon a dressing
> code and conduct.

We must acknowledge regional and cultural differences in dress and
conduct.

For example, in some parts of the world, going out for beer after an
event with people is the cultural norm.  In other parts, beer is not
legal, so maybe a teahouse works.

For dress, the most I would like to see is a code like this:

  "Remember that you represent Fedora and dress appropriately.  You
  understand best what is right and wrong for your region."

For example, if an Ambassador from San Francisco, CA showed up to an
SF event with many tattoos, body piercings, and loud clothing
... well, that it is normal in the Bay Area for people to express
themselves in such ways.  To force that person to adopt a uniform
appearance would _reduce_ their effectiveness.

Across the US, if you show up to a tech conference in a suit and tie,
you will be the unusual person.  If you show up in t-shirt, shorts,
and sandles on the West Coast, you will look like the rest of the
crowd.  East Coast might prefer a buttoned shirt and slacks.  Etc.

Thus, these are the sort of decisions that *must* be handled
regionally.

- Karsten
http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
AD0E0C41