[Ambassadors] thinking about 2009

Francesco Ugolini fugolini at fedoraproject.org
Mon Nov 10 21:21:56 UTC 2008

2008/11/10 Max Spevack <mspevack at redhat.com>:

> (1) Do you like the "regional accountability" model that we are trying to
> create for Ambassadors?  This means having recognized leaders in each part
> of the world who are responsible for making sure that Ambassadors in that
> region get the resources that they need?

I think with this model we can have a simplified "infrastructure" that
could work faster and with results (better problem solving etc).

Local leadership is a key element of all the process: I personally
like that model if we are able to keep clear that there is only ONE
Ambassadors Project and we are, all together, a community.

> (2) Are the regional IRC meetings useful for organizing events and getting
> things done?  Does this model mean that FAmSCo is not needed for event
> organization?

IRC meetings are helpful: not only for the local organization but to
report FAmSCo all the in formations about events and other critical
topics. I think, in my personal view, FAmSCo importance grew a lot
with localized meeting: it helps having a clear, unified and reliable
infrastructure that could guarantee a better usage of resource and a
better way to handle FAmSCo tasks (we can receive report and we can
process them for FAmSCo usage).

> (3) What do you think FAmSCo should focus on?

FAmSCo has to remain the resource bridge. BTW, I think it's necessary
to focus more on training organization to create and improve the way
we interface with the outer-world.

During the last months I saw a lot of interest in sponosorhip, I think
Ambassadors, as the voice of the project, and FAmSCo, for a technical
reason, should be able to work finding and routing new sponsors into
the project.
This will mean working on two way: 1) Find new users and promote
Fedora 2) Find sponsors that could help the project spring the wings
(and helping covering local events too).

I think this is a really big question, it will require an entire mail
to discuss about it, but mainly I think FAmSCo should work opening the
Ambassadors' work horizon, trying to simplifying ambassadors life and
working training ambassadors (something that every NPO or business do,
it's not to teach someone something, but to steer better our work).

> (4) How can FAmSCo do a better job of serving you or your region?

First of all, continuing taking care of local ambassadors feedbacks.
Secondly, trying to find a way to work, cooperatively, with local
ambassadors (e.g. local contacts).

What I have said it's a really brief answer to all those core topics.

Thank you Max for these interesting questions.

Best regards

Francesco Ugolini