[Ambassadors] How do you enforce someone to work on something?

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Tue Nov 18 12:34:08 UTC 2008

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008, Yuan Yijun wrote:

> Finally, what is the suggested organization of ambassadors? Susmit
> mentioned coordinator which is new to me. What resource does a
> coordinator have, and how it works? How to you train your new
> ambassadors, or assign jobs, where can I find live samples, if not on
> this list?

Hi,

Allow me to share a few general principles that I use when building
community, and you can generalize them for your specific needs.

First of all, don't try to build just a Fedora *Ambassador* community,
but rather think about building the entire Fedora community in your
area.  That means people who are users, developers, ambassadors, or who
serve in more than one role.

The job of Ambassadors is key because they are the people who bring
together the rest of the community face to face.  Having personal
meetings at events is one of the fastest and most efficient ways to not
only build teamwork, but also to achieve results.  An hour spent
discussing something face to face is worth 2 or 3 days of time spent on
an email thread.

The best thing to do is reach out to all of the Fedora folks local to
your community and first make sure that everyone is working towards the
same goals, in the same place.  Make sure your local conversations are
taking place on one mailing list, or one one IRC channel, or on one wiki
page.

Keep a simple task list of the goals that the local team is working
towards.  Each task should have a short description, and also an "owner"
who is the person responsible for the task.

When you have your meetings, it gives you a chance for each person to
give a small update, and for people to move around ownership of
different tasks as needed.

It is *critical* that you create a culture of sharing work, and not a
culture of people being afraid to say "I am busy" or "someone else needs
to do this".  The Fedora communities that function best are ones in
which people are willing to step in and help out a friend who doesn't
have enough time to get something done.  Especially when most Fedora
contributors are volunteers, this is essential.

Finally, as you begin to organize events in your region, FAmSCo can help
you to get resources and budget.  FAmSCo will allocate budget for
events, and your main point of contact within Red Hat for getting budget
in Asia is Harish Pillay.

You'll want to make sure that you are familiar with the FedoraEvents
page on the wiki, and also with the "event report" guidelines that are
linked on the top of that page.

That's just a little bit of advice.  Feel free to ask more questions,
and thanks for your efforts.

--Max