[Ambassadors] F10 Release Events Flyers

Brian Powell bpowell01 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 14:55:31 UTC 2008

2008/11/20 Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com>:

>> > A Release party without an invitation flyer, what's this?
>> >
>> > I'm sure Artwork team has done a great job and it is really,
>> > continuously, helping Ambassadors with their artworks, see the past
>> > flyers, the ambassadors wall posters etc.
>> >
>> > Ok, I agree that there are legal aspects that must be guaranteed (this
>> > is what I'm studying everyday) both in the brand side and in the
>> > overall community quality side too, but F10 release is near to the
>> > door, we are 90% ready, and now we can't promote the events. It's like
>> > to give a car without the keys.
>> >
>> > It's possible to solve the problem before the release? or let's start
>> > them without the flyer?
>>
>> IMHO, that's just too late. Printing flyers takes some time, so if you
>> want to be able to print / display them, you need to be ready much
>> earlier.
>
> This is really a case where after it was reviewed and ideas for fixing
> it were pointed out, the contributor never made the requested changes.
> That's OK because we all have only so much time in the day to help
> where we can.  But it probably should have been removed.
>
> If people want to use this poster, it's not a disaster by any means.
> I would recommend Ambassadors change the text to reflect something
> that's identical to the web site slogan, "Fire it Up," or whatever
> it's translated to in your locality.  When we produce too many
> different slogans as in the case of this poster, it dulls our
> marketing and makes it less effective.
>
> I know that Ambassadors always try to work *with* and not *against*
> the Marketing group.  It was important to me to show where one team
> might accidentally be undoing the work of another, while only having
> the best intentions.
>
> However, this is really quite a minor issue, and if people are set to
> use the poster in question, it is not forbidden by any means.  There
> are no legal issues with using the poster/flyer as is, just marketing
> and design issues.
>
>> That's the same thing for the CD / DVD faces. We don't have them yet, it's
>> starting to be too late for printing them when we press the CDs / DVDs.
>>
>> I'm not ranting about the Art team, they do a wonderful job that I could
>> personally not do with my poor graphical skills. But we have to admit that
>> for this release, the materials that need to be done are not ready.
>>
>> I'm sure the Art team is doing the best they can, but given the small
>> period of time they have (6 monthes for a release, substract the time
>> needed for choosing the Fedora theme, etc...) and the number they are,
>> that seems plainly not feasible.
>
> Has anyone actually asked the Art team about this as I suggested?
>
> There are more artists on board now than there were at the beginning
> of this release cycle.  As time goes on, the work gets divided
> better.  The Art team has become tremendously efficient, but I do know
> that we need to have fewer instances where one person is staying up
> [...]

The F10 release posters have been in the design service work queue for
some time now. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/DesignService#F10_Release_Party_flyers

According to https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-ambassadors-list/2008-October/msg00180.html
work should be in progress on the release posters right now, not sure
if that schedule is officially accepted or followed though.

PS. Not attempting to attack or call out anyone with this, so please
dont take it that way.

BrianPowell
http://fedoraproject.org