[Ambassadors] Upcoming events and reimbursement guidelines

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Mon Nov 24 13:38:54 UTC 2008

Hi Ambassadors,

I know we are getting close to the beginning of a new quarter, for
events and swag budget.

Several things are already in process -- Fedora 10 CDs in North America,
for example, and some stickers that Ambassadors will be able to give out
at events.

In EMEA, we still have a bunch of tshirts that we made up earlier in the
year, and budget for the upcoming events and Release Parties.  In LATAM,
Rodrigo continues to do a wonderful job coordinating the Fedora
presence.

India has its own budget for making Swag, and we have budget set aside
to make sure that our Ambassadors throughout APAC get the support that
they need.

There are two important things that I need everyone to be aware of:

(1) I want to remind folks about our Event Report guidelines and
recommendations.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraEvents/ReportingGuidelines

(2) I need to start being more strict regarding reimbursements, because
I have been running into some trouble with Red Hat finance when we do
any transfers of money that are not PayPal.  It is very hard (or
sometimes impossible) for me to be reimbursed for these expenses, and
while I'm happy to donate some of my own money to Fedora, you can
imagine that as the go-between for the Fedora community and the Red Hat
budget, I have to be very careful about making sure all my expense
reports are ok, or else I'll get into trouble very quickly with my own
personal finances.

So, here are the reimbursement guidelines that need to be followed.

(a) No matter where you are in the world, we need scans of receipts for
the expenses that you have at the event.  If we promise you a budget of
$500 and you spend $500, but only have receipts for $400, then I end up
in an awkward position where I either have to say NO to the last $100,
or to reimburse it out of my own pocket.  Please don't put me in that
position.

(b) We can reimburse anyone, anywhere in the world, with PayPal.  This
is our preferred method of doing things, by far.  It is fast, and it
causes no additional paperwork with Red Hat that can delay things.

(c) In North America, if you cannot take PayPal, it is possible to be
reimbursed with a personal check, but this will take a while.

(d) In any countries using Euros, we try to do all our reimbursements
either through PayPal or to route them through Fedora EMEA e.V.

(e) In India, if you cannot take PayPal, reimbursement requests should
go to Sankarshan, who is the manager of the subset of budget that we
allocate to that region.

(f) In APAC, if you cannot take PayPal, reimbursement requests should go
to Harish, who is the manager of the subset of budget that we allocate
to that region.

(g) In LATAM, if you cannot take PayPal, reimbursement requests should
go to Rodrigo, who is the manager of the subset of budget that we
allocate to that region.

Thanks for your attention and for all your hard work.  If there are any
questions, please post them to this thread.

--Max