[Ambassadors] Thoughts on future FADNA gatherings

Clint Savage herlo1 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 04:07:20 UTC 2008

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 7:22 PM, Jon Stanley <jonstanley at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/11/26 Larry Cafiero <larry.cafiero at gmail.com>:
>
>> forth from East to West every year -- that would more than likely allow me
>> to attend (at least those closer to me).
>
> Has anyone thought about holding a FADNA in conjunction with SCALE 7x?

As the event owner for SCaLE and have constantly been in discussions
about this issue, I will happily speak to this issue.  In my opinion,
holding FAD NA with another event will diminish the benefits of the
FAD.  I don't care if it's FUDCon in Boston or SCaLE in Los Angeles,
the problem still remains.  There isn't enough time to have both an
convention and the Fedora Ambassador Day at the same time.

There are several reasons for this, but let me lay out a few of the
stumbling blocks here so we can all discuss this directly.

Holding a FAD along with an event isn't inherently a bad idea.
However, because most folks going to SCaLE or FUDCon are there to
focus on those events and not a FAD, the FAD will be reduced in time.
While I enjoyed the first FADNA, I think it should be longer, probably
closer to 8 hours with fun events surrounding a weekend.

Holding a FAD on its own also comes with struggles.  The main point
that has been argued is that the cost rises for Ambassadors who wish
to attend both events.  This is completely true.  For me, the decision
between a SCaLE and a FAD would be very difficult indeed, but I think
the consensus has been to recommend the convention over the FAD event.

There are other arguments for and against holding a FAD with a
convention and I can see the value in both.  I find that the biggest
problem is that it's hard to have everyone agree on something like
this.

I suggest alternating FADs between being along side an event and then
being a standalone event, maybe that will accommodate everyone's
desires.  I also suggest that we have two FADs a year, something like
March & September.  This would possibly accommodate a FAD attached to
either SCaLE (spring) or Ohio Linux Fest (Fall).

There is much more I could say and have said in IRC.  I think this
pretty much sums that up, so I ask, what do you all think?

Cheers,

Clint