[Ambassadors] Rapidshare download of Fedora ISO

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 18 20:06:26 UTC 2008

(please don't top post)

Am Samstag, den 18.10.2008, 23:54 +0500 schrieb Neo Reeves:

> Yeah I know...but most of them can't provide enough bandwidth for
> rapid speed downloads.

>From my experience I'd say most of them can easily provide that speeds,
even more. Much more if you compare to the free (unregistered)
downloads, because their speed is strongly limited. It's not fair to
compare to the premium downloads because these are not free and I'd
don't think we should promote downloads of free software through a
service that people need to pay for.

Another think that scares my about your idea: Everyone can upload to
rapidshare. How do we make sure the images are really the original
images? There is no way to validate the downloads e.g. with md5sums.

IMO we should encourage the use of bittorrent. Most of the time it's the
fastet way to download, it disburdens the mirrors and promotes the idea
of sharing.

Regards,
Christoph