[Ambassadors] Ambassadors list

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 13:25:58 UTC 2008

I have a question for FAMSCo:  Can someone who is a well-known and
active Fedora contributor join the fedora-ambassadors-list, without
having to take on yet more Ambassador duties?

Contributors are to me -- and I think to all Fedora community members --
some of the strongest advocates for Fedora.  They contribute to Fedora
because they believe in our mission and want to help.  Occasionally
there are opportunities for them to participate in an ambassadorial
fashion, like a public speaking event.  They should be able to report on
this to the rest of the Ambassadors using fedora-ambassadors-list.

Having open archives is good because it means people can read
discussions after the fact.  But if people can't read in real time, or
let Ambassadors know about opportunities and then participate in the
conversation, we're not getting real collaboration with the rest of the
project.

In every other list, there are a core of people who work diligently on
that kind of contribution.  Artwork, Docs, Infrastructure, and others,
all are in the same situation.  And although people drop in there and
discuss ideas, that doesn't harm the progress of those particular teams.
Good ideas are picked up, discussed, and often implemented.  Bad ones
are shot down (politely, I hope), alternative suggestions are made, and
work carries on.

I think more openness would serve this purpose well.  However, I'm not
going to ask for a change if someone can convince me that this kind of
collaboration would be harmful to Ambassadors overall.  What do you
think, FAMSCo?  Ambassadors?

--
Paul W. Frields