[Ambassadors] Ambassadors list

David Nalley david at gnsa.us
Fri Sep 12 14:05:31 UTC 2008

2008/9/12 Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com>:
> I have a question for FAMSCo:  Can someone who is a well-known and
> active Fedora contributor join the fedora-ambassadors-list, without
> having to take on yet more Ambassador duties?
>
> Contributors are to me -- and I think to all Fedora community members --
> some of the strongest advocates for Fedora.  They contribute to Fedora
> because they believe in our mission and want to help.  Occasionally
> there are opportunities for them to participate in an ambassadorial
> fashion, like a public speaking event.  They should be able to report on
> this to the rest of the Ambassadors using fedora-ambassadors-list.
>
> Having open archives is good because it means people can read
> discussions after the fact.  But if people can't read in real time, or
> let Ambassadors know about opportunities and then participate in the
> conversation, we're not getting real collaboration with the rest of the
> project.
>
> In every other list, there are a core of people who work diligently on
> that kind of contribution.  Artwork, Docs, Infrastructure, and others,
> all are in the same situation.  And although people drop in there and
> discuss ideas, that doesn't harm the progress of those particular teams.
> Good ideas are picked up, discussed, and often implemented.  Bad ones
> are shot down (politely, I hope), alternative suggestions are made, and
> work carries on.
>
> I think more openness would serve this purpose well.  However, I'm not
> going to ask for a change if someone can convince me that this kind of
> collaboration would be harmful to Ambassadors overall.  What do you
> think, FAMSCo?  Ambassadors?
>
> --
> Paul W. Frields
>  gpg fingerprint: 3DA6 A0AC 6D58 FEC4 0233  5906 ACDB C937 BD11 3717
>  http://paul.frields.org/   -  -   http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/
>  irc.freenode.net: stickster @ #fedora-docs, #fedora-devel, #fredlug

iirc the thinking way back when was that there might be some strategic
advantage to having the list restricted. In a traditional marketing or
tradeshow organization I could understand that thought - I mean there
are some corps that want to keep what kind of swag they are handing
out secret. That said I can't recall an instance where it was ever an
issue, or provided us an advantage. (but don't claim to know/remember
everything). There's nothing that we do in secret - features are
known, release schedules are known, events that we are going to are
known - and even if they weren't the archive provides access
instantaneously.

So +1 to opening the list up from a non-famsco member