[Famsco-list] Re: [Ambassadors] Ambassadors list

Paul Stauffer paulds at bu.edu
Sat Sep 13 03:51:15 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 05:07:52PM -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> Filtering on a header, at worst the To: line, is a much better idea.
> The List-Id: or X-BeenThere: headers work well for me.

For active filtering, yes, but I was specifically talking about that quick
visual hint that lets a busy person glance at their inbox and quickly decide
what needs to be read next.  Most mail readers aren't going to display any
of those headers prominently in your inbox index listing.

> For most people though, putting '[Ambassadors]' in their email client
> window means after a reply or two you can't see the subject anymore,
> which is ugly and not useful.  Look at the subject of this very post for
> example! :-)

Nonsense.  Mailman will not add the tag a second time if it's already there.
The current subject line is only due to cross-posting, which is discouraged
on this list anyway.  It would probably be ok to use a shorter tag, like
"[Amb]" if the length of the current one is too bothersome for people.

Ok, ok, just wanted to point out that it's a touchy issue for many strongly
opinionated people, as I think I've illustrated. :)

cheers,
- Paul

--
Paul Stauffer <paulds at bu.edu>