[Ambassadors] Ambassadors Meeting EMEA - IRC Log 2008-09-17

Fabian Affolter fab at fedoraproject.org
Wed Sep 17 21:51:31 UTC 2008

HTML version of the log is here:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/Meetings/2008-09-17/HTML_Log

Raw log is here:

<fabian_a> Welcome everybody.  Let's have Fedora Ambassadors Meeting EMEA
<wonderer1> ah, ok.
<heffer_> ok
<fabian_a> Who is here? Roll call. Please state your first name and
surname (in the past this was your wiki name)
* wonderer1 is here
<fugolini> FrancescoUgolini
* wonderer1 = henrik Heigl
<heffer_> Felix Kaechele
<fabian_a> FabianAffolter
<rsc> Robert Scheck
<fabian_a> lfoppiano, McGiwer, spevack...ping
<spevack> pong
<spevack> sorry
<spevack> MaxSpevack
<fabian_a> ok, not that much attendance ;-)
<fabian_a> First point: News from  FAmSCo
<spevack> !
<glezos> DimitrisGlezos (semi-here)
<fabian_a> spevack,
<spevack> k
<spevack> well, just from the budget side of FAMSCo, I have a few things
to report.
<fabian_a> ok, go on
<spevack> first of all, we are continuing to get funds to the event
owners who have events coming up
<spevack> I ask all the event owners to continue to save copies of
receipts and stuff, which makes reimbursements much easier.
<spevack> Also, the t-shirts that Fedora EMEA e.V. purchased have
arrived, and they look great.
<spevack> i want to thank kital for handling that.
<spevack> we will be selling these shirts at events, so we will make
enough money to purchase more, and also for Fedora EMEA e.V. to have
some extra funds to sponsor travel, etc.
<spevack> one last thing
<spevack> I am personally a bit behind on fedora-ambassadors-list
reading the last week or so, so I want to apologize if there is anyone
waiting on me for a response that i haven't gotten to.
<spevack> EOF
<wonderer1> !
<fugolini> !
<fabian_a> wonderer1, then fugolini
<wonderer1> First of all I also want to thank kital, spevak and aal of
who else was involed to the T-Shirts. Question: in wich way we
(Ambassadors) get them for Events (over fedoraproject page xyz?)? do we
pay for them before selling them?
<wonderer1> EOF
<spevack> !
<fugolini> ok spevack talk you
<spevack> I can explain
<spevack> very easy
<spevack> So, I don't have the exact numbers here, but just assume for a
minute that each shirt cost 5 EUR to produce.
<spevack> And pretend that your event has a budget of 500 EUR.
<spevack> If you say "max, send me 20 shirts for my event" then I will
do that, and we will subtract 100 EUR from your event's budget.
<spevack> If you sell the shirts, then great.  it can help pay for other
things at the event, or you can just give the money back and we'll hold
it for later.
<spevack> if you give the shirts away, that's ok too, because they are
"paid" for out of the event's budget.
<spevack> does that make sense?
<spevack> EOF
<glezos> spevack: yes
<fugolini> !
<fabian_a> fugolini,
<wonderer1> ok
<fugolini> Ok, i'll be brief, just two thinks from FAmSCo
<fugolini> During the past week we had two main announcment: the first
is the "New Members Policy" update
<fugolini> thanks to kital suggestions. Those changes will help better
focusing on people and will simplify new members and AMA too
<fugolini> Ambassadors Membership Administrators
<fugolini> for infos about this take a look at
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-ambassadors-list/2008-September/msg00359.html
<fugolini> The last important update was the official position taken by
FAmSCo about Ambassadors list
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-ambassadors-list/2008-September/msg00353.html
<fugolini> Moreover I thought it was necessary a pause to officialize it
<fugolini> and for general discussion until FAD NA 2008
<fugolini> The FAmSCo position is  near-to-be-definitive. We need
feedback from NA community that actually haven't a definitive position
like EMEA has
<fugolini> After they opinion, and if there will not really BIG reason
against our position, we will officialize it
<fugolini> so, the discussion on this thread is paused until October
15th, if I'm not wrong (FAD NA)
<fugolini> That's all from a FAmSCo point of view updates.
<fugolini> For release events maybe we could discuss later (sorry I
don't have the meeting agenda with me)
<fugolini> EOF
<fabian_a> fugolini, thanks
<fugolini> thank you too fabian_a
<fabian_a> i guess that we can move on, or?
<fugolini> +1
<wonderer1> +1
<heffer> +1
<fabian_a> Ambassadors Membership  Verification
<fabian_a> the
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/MembershipService/Verification
page is now up-to-date
<fabian_a> that's all...kital is not here
<fabian_a> so let's start with events
<fabian_a> have somebody something to say about a up-comming or past event?
<fugolini> !
<fabian_a> fugolini,
<fugolini> F10 Release Parties events: this year we had 3 events in EMEA
<spevack> !
<fugolini> spevack: talk you
<fugolini> I'll finish after you
<fabian_a> spevack and then fugolini again
<spevack> fugolini and i were talking the other day about funding for
F10 release events
<spevack> fugolini: there is going to be extra money from the FUDCon
Brno budget, that we can use to release events.
<spevack> that budget will be gone at the end of november, so if some
release events will be in December, we just have to get the Ambassadors
the money ahead of time.
<spevack> EOF
<red_alert> hi all, sorry for being late...only just arrived home
<fugolini> spevack: thank you, you answer is 100 words worth
<fugolini> BTW, this year we have more events worldwide but less in Europe
<fugolini> But this is only statistic.
<fugolini> As i wrote in
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-ambassadors-list/2008-September/msg00375.html
<spevack> I think we are having about as many events as we can handle
with our current budget, worldwide.  Personally I am pretty happy,
though I hope for responsible growth both in budget and events in the
future.
<fugolini> Before September 30th I want to know how much Events Owner
(EMEA too) will preview to spend
<spevack> but both have to grow at the same time!
<fugolini> Absolutely.
<fugolini> I have wrote an email asking people to write argumented money
requests, just to improve RE money distribution around the events.
<spevack> !
<fugolini> spevack: feel free to interupt me
<spevack> i think about it very simply.
<fugolini> you are the tresurer, you better than me
<spevack> Whenever i talk to ambassadors, i try to ask this question:
<spevack> "are you getting the resources you need, and is it easy for
you to get those resources and organize an event?"
<spevack> if they say yes, wonderful.
<spevack> if they say no, then I take notes. :)
<spevack> we just need to always be asking that question
<spevack> and improving any complaints.
<spevack> EOF
<fugolini> Sure
<spevack> FAMSCo works for Ambassadors!
<fugolini> absolutely. I hope people have understood this reading my
mail about RE
<fugolini> So, if there are Events Owner I invite them to post their
preview before that date. Max do you agree with me?
<spevack> yes
<fugolini> I hope to see great reports from EMEA too. We are covering
three country and I'm sure it will be a success. That our goal!
<fugolini> Any question?
<spevack> ? what do you mean "three countries"
<fugolini> fugolini.fedorapeople.org/remap.html
<fugolini> in EMEA we are covering 3 events in 3 different countries
<spevack> ah, for release parties
<spevack> i understand now
<fugolini> I'm sorry
<spevack> that is awesome!
<spevack> i love your map
<spevack> heh
<spevack> EOF
<fugolini> I hope next time, we will be able to imporve the organization
of these events in EMEA too. I'll add a topic for FAD EMEA about this
<fugolini> EOF
<fabian_a> thanks guys
<fabian_a> let me say something about events around and in switzerland
<spevack> open expo next week!  :)
<fabian_a> openexpo is next week, right. spevack will help and talk at
this event. andreas and timea will help me there too.
<wonderer1> !
<fabian_a> wonderer1,
<spevack> fabian_a: i will bring Live CDs and tshirts and my smiling face
<wonderer1> I have a very short aking from GeroldKa for the sytems 2008
end of october in munich. I hope to get there with an OLPC near by the
OLPC project itself to represent fedora there.
<wonderer1> if anybody can and would help there, please tell me
<wonderer1> there is no budget (I try to get some from the OLPC guys,
but lets see).
<spevack> wonderer1: how much budget do you think you need?
<wonderer1> I hope to get an OLPC some days before to test it ( I only
have one at Linuxtag 2007 and Jens handed me once one out for some minutes).
<spevack> we have a few in EMEA, spread around various ambassadors
<wonderer1> spevack: at this time travel and hotel for 2 days. I can
collect the infos and mail it?!
<wonderer1> yes, I know (allready on the mailinglist ;-)
<wonderer1> I only want to tell here again and if there where some guys
who where there or knew some ... contact me please.
<wonderer1> EOF
<fabian_a> wonderer1, thanks
<spevack> wonderer1: that would be great
<spevack> wonderer1: if you send an estimate, we can try to find the budget
<wonderer1> spevack: Ok.
<spevack> EOF
<fabian_a> anything else about events in the near future?
<fugolini> !
<fabian_a> fugolini,
<fugolini> LinuxDay: I'm not the owner
<fugolini> But I want to say that lfoppiano and the Northern italian
ambassadors are doing
<fugolini> a great job trying to contact each LUG and focusing on
covering the biggest one.
<fugolini> Personally I will cover my province LUG, that has an
attendance of 500/1000 people
<fugolini> (many of them schools/businesses etc).
<fugolini> But that's offtopic.
<fugolini> Generally you can see what owner and helpers are doing
<fugolini> seeing this page
<fugolini> I don't find it, but make a search in Fedoraproject.org wiki
<fugolini> And you'll get all the informations about the kit we will
distribute around LUGs, speech that we hold etc
<fugolini> EOF
<fabian_a> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraEvents/LinuxDay
<fabian_a> are we done for this month?
<fabian_a> i will adjourn in 20 s
<fabian_a> 10
<spevack> if anyone needs anything, you always can email me and i will
do my best!  EOF :)
<fabian_a> 5
<fabian_a> 3
<fabian_a> 2
<fabian_a> 1
<spevack> thanks fabian_a
<wonderer1> thanks all
<fabian_a> Fedora Ambassadors Meeting EMEA 2008-09-17 has been
adjourned. Next meeting in October 2008.

Next Meeting will be in October, 2008-10-15 at 20.00 UTC.

--
Fingerprint: 2F6C 930F D3C4 7E38 6AFA 4EB4 E23C D2DD 36A4 397F

Fedora always leads and never follows.