[Ambassadors] The lack of quality video drivers is destroying Fedora.

Juan M. Rodriguez nushio at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 17:33:50 UTC 2008

2008/9/29 Shambo Bose <shambo.linux at gmail.com>

> Hello
>
> The nvidia and ATI grahics drivers are freely available from their website
> .
> So, why can't we add them to yum repository. If there is any roblem we can
> add them to a secondary non-free yum repository.
>
> I have also faced some questions from fedora users in my locality that :
> why mp3 music and some video formats cannot be played out of the box ?
>

> Thanks.
>
> Shambo Bose

Their drivers are freely available, yet they aren't open sourced, which is
why they aren't included with Fedora.

As for MP3? Its because of a patent issue. The MP3 Codec *may* not be out of
the box, but as soon as you play a file, you are prompted to download it
from Codeina and a few minutes later, you're playing MP3s. (The downside is
that this requires an internet connection).

Just my 2c.

--
Ing. Juan M. Rodriguez Moreno
Desarrollador de Sistemas Abiertos