[Ambassadors] The lack of quality video drivers is destroying Fedora.

Yaakov Nemoy loupgaroublond at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 19:57:53 UTC 2008

2008/9/29 Juan M. Rodriguez <nushio at gmail.com>:
> "We can always create a secondary non free repository"
>
> We already have one, its called Livna[1], they provide packages for both ATI
> and Nvidia cards that are packaged for Fedora, which would mean no conflicts
> with existing drivers. They are sometimes hours-to-days behind kernel
> updates (Specifically security kernel updates) which leaves users with
> dependency conflicts (Either update the kernel and lose the drivers, or stay
> insecure for some time)

This is false too.  There are special modules in livna called 'akmods'
which behave like kmods, but can be recompiled on demand.  I will not
openly recommend suggesting to users to use livna, nor will I tell
them that the best practice is to install both the kmods and akmods.
I will not tell them that their computer will then have the binary
drivers installed, and when livna does not update the drivers, it will
recompile them on its own.  I will not even go so far to tell them
that they may need to reboot their computer twice when using the
nvidia drivers.  But a few good hints, and they usually figure it out
themselves. ;).

-Yaakov