[Famsco-list] Re: [Ambassadors] [Discussion] Reporting template for ambassadors.

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 16:01:13 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 9:35 AM, susmit shannigrahi
<thinklinux.ssh at gmail.com> wrote:
>> To what end?? Are we going to kick out people who aren't performing up
>> to some predefined amount of work??
>> I find it awfully difficult to justify adding yet more overhead to
>> people who are already working (and most likely quite busy)
>

> Suppose, someone is not any more interested contributing, neither they
> plan to do it again in future.
>
> What we currently do is to keep their junk pages in the wiki.
> People coming for help visits them, mails for help and get no reply.
>
> Should not we ping our ambassadors periodically and ensure they are
> still contributing or atleast interested in contributing? If someone
> is contributing, fine. If someone is not available for sometime, let
> him/her reply back that he/she will be unavailable for a specific
> period of time.

This is exactly right. Here is an example of someone still listed as
an ambassador but who claims to be a "former" ambassador on his wiki
page linked from the ambassadors list.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BobJensen

I would assume he would be perfectly happy to be removed from the
ambassador list.

There are many examples of others who don't even provide the courtesy
of saying they are no longer involved but rather just don't give any
reply to attempts to contact them and give no other indication of
their availability on the wiki.

> Should not we ping our ambassadors periodically and ensure they are
> still contributing or atleast interested in contributing? If someone
> is contributing, fine. If someone is not available for sometime, let
> him/her reply back that he/she will be unavailable for a specific
> period of time.
>
> Someone may be busy for a certain period of time, but that does not
> mean he/she can not reply back his/her unavailability. If someone does
> not reply in a month, it is for sure that he/she is not interested any
> more.
>
> What we can do is mail all the ambassadors asking if they are still
> "alive", if someone does not reply in a couple of week, send him/her
> another ping and even he/she does not reply in a month, remove
> him/her.

I think I can agree with this more easily. This sort of housecleaning
could be done periodically and probably wouldn't need to be done that
often. I would think once a year or one a release cycle would help
matters a lot.

> My suggestion is not to kick out people, for a start, identify those
> who are dead for Fedora and remove them.

I agree with this, they might well not be dead for Fedora. Bob who I
singled out above is not at all dead for Fedora, but isn't interested
in the ambassadors program any more as I understand him.

John