[Ambassadors] Re: inactive ambassadors, a proposed solution

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Wed Feb 25 15:41:38 UTC 2009

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009, inode0 wrote:

> I propose we do the following now.
>
> (1) Stop further discussion of putting labels of active and inactive
> on ambassadors. We are all Fedora ambassadors, let's leave it at that.
>
> (2) Work with FAmSCo to solve the actual problem that began this
> discussion and create an effective way for our community to contact
> ambassadors and for the non-Fedora community to contact us. This can
> be done without creating any new bureaucracy that burdens Fedora
> ambassadors. Several reasonable suggestions that accomplish this have
> already been offered for consideration.

There are many many different ways to be a Fedora Ambassador.  It is not
for me to tell anyone "you are" or "you are not".  This is the first
time I ever even bothered to respond to this thread, and now I regret
writing the first email.

=============

The ACTUAL PROBLEM that we need to solve is making sure that we have a
list of Ambassadors in different countries who choose to commit that
THEIR CONTRIBUTION to Fedora Ambassadors is being a point of contact on
email or irc for users and potential contributors in their country who
might have questions.

Solving THAT PROBLEM is why I think we need to do a better job of
automating and advertising a list of Ambassadors per country.

Some people are great at organizing events.  Some people are great at
distributing CDs.  Some people are great at answering newbie questions.

Not everybody wants to do all of those things.  Everyone needs to first
recognize that it is OK to specialize, and also needs to recognize that
no one is "more" or "less" of an Ambassador, only different.

I have nothing left to add to this thread.  I feel like I have done a
poor job of explaining myself, and that everything I say just makes it
worse, so I'm going to go back to worrying about things like budget and
FUDCon, where the world makes sense :)

--Max