[Ambassadors] Fedora UK Community Website

Mathieu Bridon (bochecha) bochecha at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jan 16 12:48:07 UTC 2009

> Am Freitag, 16. Januar 2009 13:04:48 schrieb Christoph Wickert:
>> 1. This has nothing to do with moral at all.
>> 2. This _is_ on topic. Gerold asked why there is a need for a UK
>> community website and why the content could not be published at fpo.
>> People who demand everything should be published at the official webpage
>> first have to act their part and enable people to do it. I'm open for
>> constructive suggestions here.
>
> "Everything"? Have i say´d that? - and Forbidden items as well?:) We
> started
> mentoring to help new Ambassadors to differ wrong from right. Everyone has
> the Freedom to build what he want from Fedora - and everyone is free to
> support this - but this is a non-fedora topic.
> And "could not be published at fpo" that say´s it all.

No, that doesn't say anything at all.

As Christoph said, the fp.o is hosted in the US, that says much more.

For example, libdvdcss is _not_ illegal anymore in France. This means that
we can read encrypted DVDs in France and explain how to do that.

Is libdvdcss legal in the US ? I guess not. This means that no howto can
be published on fp.o on this topic.

But french Fedora users are _allowed_ to know how to do this.

What's the only solution in this case ? Yes, publishing a howto on a local
community site.

Let's take another example. A documentation published on fp.o must be in
english, then translated to several languages, depending on the voluntary
efforts in each of these languages.

Here in France, we have _a lot_ of people who are willing to contribute,
but don't speak english at all. If documentation must be published on
fp.o, then they have no way to contribute. Of course, we are so many
people right now that we can totally afford losing them :)

Also, think about a user, who can't speak english. When he has a problem
with Fedora, he'll want to ask his question on a forum, _in his own
language_. We're not talking about documentation here, but yet, the need
for a local community site is obvious.

Finally, you know how _users_ are: as soon as they learn something new,
they will write it on their blog. If you say that what is not on fp.o
can't be named "Fedora", should we prevent our users to write something on
their blogs ? Of course not ! We must encourage them to go on ! However,
gathering their articles on a local community site is an excellent first
step.

You will note that I never said I didn't want to have the maximum on fp.o,
in fact, I think all documentation from the local community sites should
be submitted (a bit like we sumbit packages) for inclusion in fp.o.

Of course, having brazilian people losing their time writing from scratch
articles that german people wrote years ago (countries are only examples,
they do not mean anything about my feeling for both local communities).

But those local community sites nevertheless remain a necessary first step
for a lot of contributors, as well as a necessary last step for others.

Regards,

Mathieu Bridon (bochecha)
French Fedora Ambassador