[Ambassadors] Fedora UK Community Website

Mathieu Bridon (bochecha) bochecha at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jan 16 13:16:27 UTC 2009

> Am Freitag, 16. Januar 2009 13:48:07 schrieb Mathieu Bridon (bochecha):
>> > And "could not be published at fpo" that say´s it all.
>> No, that doesn't say anything at all.
>> As Christoph said, the fp.o is hosted in the US, that says much more.
For example, libdvdcss is _not_ illegal anymore in France. This means
that
>> we can read encrypted DVDs in France and explain how to do that. Is
libdvdcss legal in the US ? I guess not. This means that no howto
can
>> be published on fp.o on this topic.
>> But french Fedora users are _allowed_ to know how to do this.
>> What's the only solution in this case ? Yes, publishing a howto on a local
>> community site.
>
> i have considered this facts in
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-ambassadors-list/2009-January/msg00151.html
>
> But once again my question, should a new native english speaking Ambassador
> put his effort in just another fedoraforum.org?

Yes, if it can help people to get involved. Local community websites are
more than a simple forum in a defined language ;)

Something you do not seem to consider is that it is much easier to
integrate a local, small group, which can be compared to a band of friends
or even a family, than a huge international project.

In the first one, you can easily be integrated, and feel part of it, as
well as give your opinion, help doing small things at your level, etc...

In the second one, you feel easily overwhelmed by all those emails, by the
fact that all those people speaking seem to be in there for a very long
time, that they seem to be more "competent", which will make you hesitate
to say something and participate.

Now, here is my question, if he _wants to_ put his efforts in this, why
would we prevent him to do so ?

That's yet another barrier, preventing someone to contribute at his own
level. I thought one of the goals of Fedora (and one of yours as the
"become an Ambassador" process leader / simplifier / improver / <go on
with with nice adjectives describing the great work you're doing on this>)
was the exact opposite...

Regards,

Mathieu Bridon (bochecha)
French Fedora Ambassador