[Ambassadors] Fedora Freemedia processing is now automated. Testing required. (please read.)

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 14:21:01 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 6:29 AM, Max Spevack <mspevack at redhat.com> wrote:
> Soon (in the next month or two I hope) I am going to start talking to you
> and other folks who are involved in FreeMedia to see what we can do to make
> it an even bigger part of Fedora, and increase the throughput (and
> potentially budget) that we give to this important piece of our community.
>
> If you (or anyone) has thoughts, please share them.

This is very nice indeed. One question I raised during a board
townhall in the past was whether there was any objection to offering
those requesting freemedia unity re-spins (since this would help
alleviate download problems for these users when trying to get a large
number of updated packages immediately after installation). There
seemed to be no objection from the board as long as the options were
made clear to those making the requests.

Since it would not be difficult to plug more media choices into this
automated system I'd like get some feedback from other FreeMedia folks
about whether we should offer re-spins as an option in the program?

What part of FreeMedia would benefit from budget? What FreeMedia
really needs is a lot more ambassadors and other community members
willing to make a very small contribution in time and money each month
to help a few others get media. We simply need more people to
participate, it isn't glamorous, processing the mail is tedious, but
it is an easy and important way we can each help a handful (or two or
as many as you like) of people out each month.

John