[Ambassadors] Thoughts Regarding Campus Ambassador Program

Pawel Sadowski mcgiwer at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jan 23 00:03:13 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 6:50 PM, Osama Khan <osamakhn at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> Just checked with some big links in the academic sector in my country.
> Such an initiative is more than welcomed to Pakistan. Also my uni
> IBA(iba.edu.pk) is ready to support the open-source movement in our
> country. We are already working on some initiatives related to java,
> php, mysql, apache and the mono project. Also redhat is already being
> used in most of the labs also being a fedora rep i have spread the
> word about fedora to some extent that the business management students
> who are not really very techy are using fedora as they are sick of
> viruses or some liked openoffice and shifted to it. 90% of my campus
> already uses firefox. so we would love the pizzas in our labs late in
> the nights just before the project submission date ;)
> I am also more interested coz till now all the focus in this region
> has been in india and here we are not rally able to get hold of the
> free media. Till now i have distributed the media through downloading
> and creating multiple copies
>
> Please update me how i can help to spread the opensource word in
> Pakistan which is an emerging market with 17million internet users.

I'd love to be alive the day we will be using Fedora or RHEL on campuses
here in Poland. Where I'm studying now (Warsaw University of Technology),
they use (and so we're made to use this s*it) Solaris... :/ As I've
mentioned in my last mail, we have some SIGs related to Linux at
universities here, but at least if it comes about my university, they don't
seem to act a lot as I haven't heard of any of their innitiatives so far.
But, for contrast, I've seen some announcment related to M$ (invitation for
"Microsoft's technology fans" or something like this) somewhere in a hall.
But I'm pretty sure that if it's managed to be run, there would be some
feedback to this project. I'll be looking forward how the things evolve at
the project's website :)

Cheers and good luck,
Pawel