[Ambassadors] Thoughts Regarding Campus Ambassador Program

Pawel Sadowski mcgiwer at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jan 29 03:09:45 UTC 2009

2009/1/27 Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com>

> On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 12:07:29PM +0100, Pawel Sadowski wrote:
>
> > Well, as Alejandro said, I believe it could be a fantastic innitiative,
> > but... At least if it comes about Poland, there are let's call it SIGs on
> > campuses here, inter alia those related to Linux. What my concern is, how
> > connect the both groups and how to cooperate with them. Because by then
> we
> > would be the only distribution which has such project running on
> campuses.
> > Of course it would be a kind of honor to be part of such innitiative...
> my
> > doubt is if it wouldn't be duplication of work, and you know, these
> voices
> > that we're trying to make our own way of promoting Open Source... :)
> > Althouth by then we could be the pace setting side ones, and that could
> be
> > the fantastic side... ;) I hope you know what I mean :D
>
> The way I see a Fedora Campus Ambassador's role ...
>
> ... they represent Fedora _inside_ of other campus groups -- IEEE,
> SIGs, LUGs, etc.
>
> ... they coordinate with _other_ Fedorans (Ambassadors, other
> contributors) to be part of existing events.
>
> ... they present Fedora at existing events.
>
> ... they start new events in coordination with other FLOSS groups and
> Fedora contributors in the area.
>
> In this way, they do not replace existing Fedora or FLOSS efforts.
> Instead, Campus Ambbassadors add to those efforts.

Hmm, yeah, I know what you mean. In fact, it's the same role as Ambassadors
are supposed to play, but, hmm, right, there might be no Ambassadors at
campus while there're some Ambassadors even in the same city. I'd describe
the role of Campus Ambassadors as "activization of academic community" ;)

+1,5

Cheers,
Pawel