[Ambassadors] Freemedia + Unity Re-Spins, Thoughts?

Neville A. Cross nacross at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 18:38:40 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 2:39 AM, Frank Murphy
<frankly3d at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Looking for thoughts on this.
>
> What would the Freemedia\Ambassadors think,
> if we cannot include Unity-Respins as full Project sponsored spins.
> Could we try work on them as an upgrade option.
>

> John (inode) voiced something similar previously:
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-ambassadors-list/2009-January/msg00198.html
>
> Where requester is sent the Official Media,
> and the closest Unity-spin to the request date.
>
> It will cost ambassadors a bit extra on media\time\p+p.
> But it will save the requester time\money, and
> give them a fairly concurrent box.
>
> If feedback is positive, would others be willing to help me bring this
> forward, to the relevant groups\committees?
>
> Frank

I am a newcomer to the free media program, since December 2008. I am
here to help. At this point I have more questions than opinions. Sure
there are some historical background that is unknown for me. I think
it is better to ask early than to complain later. I will love to be
able to distribute media up-to-date, to save people (me included) from
having to download 500+ Mb to update a fresh install. Specially where
internet connections does not help much to speed update.

 It is Unity re-spin official fedora?

Unity re-spin is available using jigdo, or at least it seems to be.
Why there is no jigdo for official media?

Again, maybe there is a good answer to those questions, but it is
unknown to me (most likely because I am a newcomer). One of my
concern, representing fedora to the public, is to give the proper
response. Providing official media is one of those proper responses.

Again I will like to continue to help the free-media program. I am
just asking to obtain a better understanding. Hope, that I stir debate
a bit and help a better solution for the free-media program.

Best regards

--
Neville
Linux User # 473217