[Ambassadors] Freemedia + Unity Re-Spins, Thoughts?

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Sat Jan 31 21:44:21 UTC 2009

inode0 wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 1:35 PM, Frank Murphy
> <frankly3d at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> inode0 wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't see any reason that they can't just be another option those
>>> requesting media can choose, and those fulfilling requests can accept
>>> or not as they choose. If they want the official media they request
>>> it, if they would rather have a re-spin they request that.
>>>
>>> Why would someone want both?
>>>
>> The reason I stated both, is that at the moment:
>> 1:Currently the FedoraProject stands over the Official Media,
>> not the re-spins, that may change hopefully.
>>
>> 2: They will in all likelyhood, get the Official to install,
>> 2b: if not they will get all the hints etc via various outlets.
>> 2c: If they fail on Unity-respins, would it be all thrown back
>> there to help?  Which could\may overwhelm them (Unity-Volunteers).
>> Which imho would suck.
>
> Yeah, ok. How well tested re-spins are before they get pushed is the
> one reasonable argument I've heard against this. I'm not saying they
> aren't well tested, but I don't really know how well tested they are.
> Are there many people in general who have issues with the re-spins not
> working on their hardware?

For the record, the Fedora Unity Re-Spins are very well tested; We use
the same test cases as Fedora QA does for a given release, and often add
additional tests for things we think may have been fixed in the various
applications related to the installation procedures, and even fix those
ourselves if need be.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip