[Ambassadors] Russian Fedora

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Mon Jun 1 10:00:49 UTC 2009

Hi Dmitry,

> "Usage of trademark was granted to Russian Fedora by agreement between
> Red Hat and other company that represent it here, AFAIK."

Where are you quoting this from?

> Max, can you comment this?

Sure.  I'll repeat the same things that I wrote and said last year when
I was in Moscow, regarding a "Russian Fedora" spin.

It's perfectly ok to take additional non-Fedora packages and build a new
image that is a combination of (for example) Fedora and RPMFusion.

Many people do this, but from a trademark perspective, once we do that
we can't call it "Fedora" anymore, but have to give it a different name.
We call it a Fedora "remix".

See here -- http://tinyurl.com/mwov8n (links to Fedora wiki)

There was a thread about this in December that Paul Frields and I were
on, and the end result was that we asked for it to be called "Fedora
Russian Remix 10/11/12" if there were any changes being made from the
"official" Fedora package set.

Basically, these are the same guidelines that apply everywhere around
the world.  Nothing different for Russia.

--Max