[Ambassadors] Help me: Fedora vs. Ubuntu

Yaakov Nemoy loupgaroublond at gmail.com
Tue May 26 08:33:03 UTC 2009

2009/5/26 Juan M. Rodriguez <nushio at gmail.com>:
> Hi there,
>
> I always sway people with this phrase: "Want to see tomorrow's Ubuntu? Try
> Fedora today!" then proceed to explain how features are more important, and
> the Fedora Philosofy:
>
> Freedom, Friends, Features, First
>
> It's worked out for me so far.

This is one that i advocate as well.

When people ask to compare the two distros, i make a point of
explaining some of the good things that Ubuntu does. But i also point
out that despite Ubuntu's work, nothing ever works 100%, because
that's a Very Hard Thing To Do (TM). I also mention that since it's so
difficult, we don't make that our primary focus in Fedora, in contrast
to Ubuntu.

Then i drop talking about Ubuntu completely, because honestly, i'm not
paid enough to be a marketing droid for Canonical. Instead, i
concentrate on what Fedora does, as if no other distro exists  other
than to consume Fedora's work.

For example, recently i gave a presentation to the WPLUG (Western
Pennsylvania) about Fedora 11. I explained how the quest to make
fingerprint readers Just Work meant 1) They would be easy to use, and
2) There would be some good standards and best practices coming from
this work on how to support them both on the end user side and in the
enterprise. (Sure, Ubuntu could do the same, but if this is important
to you, you'll use Fedora because we have the bits, and they don't
yet.)

Likewise, i comment on libvirt and virt-manager, where the new release
of virt-manager is much easier to use. The reason why the developers
fixed it up was not just for the goal of making things work 100%, but
because they want to have a more reliable solid program, hands down,
that every distro can benefit from.

Finally, you'll probably get a bunch of questions from users of other
distros. Sometimes it's good to drag them into conversations about how
they can test the technology better on Fedora just to make sure it
works on other distros too. Invite them to use liveUSB and join
Testing Days. You can also talk about how they can help to get the
technology into their own distro faster, and contribute to upstream at
the same time.  This is really our ultimate goal in Fedora. Upstream
is worth far more than any single distro is.

Hope this helps you.

-Yaakov