[Ambassadors] Introduction to a new SIG for creation of Live DVD

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 13 21:04:17 UTC 2009

Am Sonntag, den 13.09.2009, 23:19 +0530 schrieb Aditya Patawari:
> As far as I understood after reading the page, this SIG is for
> regulating and approving the spins not for creating them ( I hope I
> got it correct).

Creating the spins is handled by the different SIGs. The KDE SIG creates
the KDE-Spin, the Xfce SIG is responsible for the Xfce-Spin and so on.
Many of them have their own mailing lists: fedora-desktop-list is for
discussions about the Desktop Spin, the fedora-kde-list is the place for
KDE discussions ... Plus we have the fedora-spins-list for technical
discussions about the spins. And if there is something not covered by
these lists, its discussed on fedora-devel. IMO this makes sense.

> What I have started is a SIG to create the Live DVD spin.

The creation itself is done by the release engineering. Not even I as a
spin owner create my own spin, I just provide the kickstart file.

If you are talking of *composing* the spins: This is also done by
members of the SIGs and I think this should be left to the experts who
know Gnome/KDE/Xfce/whatever best. IMO there is no "one size fits all" -
and this is just the reason why we started creating different spins.

Regards,
Christoph