[Ambassadors] fedora twitter account inactive?

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 21:12:01 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 3:51 PM, Ian Weller <ian at ianweller.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 06:05:50PM +0800, Yuan Yijun wrote:
>> Since every fedora people has an account on http://identi.ca or
>> status.net (AGPL) why bother using twitter?
>>
> Because it's about marketing. We happen to market to people who aren't
> yet interested in free software as those who are. We want to get new
> users and more importantly more ambassadors and contributors. To do
> that, you need to cover all the angles.

Do we really reach such people with twitter?

I think it is good, even in marketing, to be as biased as possible in
favor of solutions that are consistent with our core values. There may
be good reasons to use twitter, but I don't think I've heard any yet
that I find convincing. And even if we do choose to use twitter I sort
of would expect some promotion of alternatives more akin to us
philosophically.

John