[Ambassadors] fedora twitter account inactive?

Francesco Ugolini fugolini at fedoraproject.org
Mon Sep 21 21:45:00 UTC 2009

2009/9/21 Ian Weller <ian at ianweller.org>:
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 06:05:50PM +0800, Yuan Yijun wrote:
>> Since every fedora people has an account on http://identi.ca or
>> status.net (AGPL) why bother using twitter?
>>
> Because it's about marketing. We happen to market to people who aren't
> yet interested in free software as those who are. We want to get new
> users and more importantly more ambassadors and contributors. To do
> that, you need to cover all the angles.

I absolutely agree.

To not create a social network dependent infrastructure, we are
working creating, with the tools fedora give us, a Fedora Events feed
(the way is still long but sure we will update you as soon as we have
good news, volunteers are welcome) that could be used (with some
scripts/APIs) in the many social netoworks. If you don't like twitter
and use identi.ca, it could be interesting to offer the same
informations (both from one root).

I think if we let people know that Fedora is something more than an
Operating System (we are a Community), they will, at least, give a try
to Fedora. Sorry for this off-topic comment, but I had the necessity
to say this.

Regrads

Francesco