[Ambassadors] Issues on Documentation.

Mathieu Bridon (bochecha) bochecha at fedoraproject.org
Tue Sep 22 14:32:53 UTC 2009

Hi,

>        I do realize that the documentation group is doing a lot of work. But
> is there a simple method where a normal person can feed his thoughts and
> then the documentation people can put it into the docs because many are not
> that keen in joining the Fedora Docs project but would like to share their
> knowledge.

On the docs group mailing-list ? On their blog, aggregated to the planet ?

You do realize that you are asking about improving the documentation
on the ambassadors mailing list ?

Tristan said it earlier today, this is off-topic for this list. As a
Fedora representative, you should know better than anyone where are
the appropriate channels, if only to be able to direct
users/contributors to them. ;)

For the rest of your questions:

>        The best place for me to start would be to join the docs project and
> help in any possible way I can. But is there something more I could do? And
> Is there a way that where we could have users submit their installation
> steps and solved problems so that it would be a repository for others.

If you want to improve the docs, I can't see how to better do that
than by actually writing the docs (thus joining the docs group ;).

About the « users recipes », I don't think that's an appropriate
answers. When something isn't obvious or doesn't work out of box, we
shouldn't encourage users to spread homebrewed (and often half-baked)
tutorial.

Instead, those issues should be treated as bugs, reported, and then
fixed. Sure it might take more time, but once it is fixed, no one
needs to search in a « user recipes repository ».

Also, if everyone spends his time working around the issues, the
developers might never know about those issues. That's one more reason
to treat them as bugs.

So for your typical case, if brightness doesn't work:
- first, search if the bug is known
- if not, report it

Then only, start looking at ways to work around it. If you can find
one, add it to the bug report, that might help the devs to fix it once
and for all, and that will provide you some comfort in the meantime.

Best regards,