[Ambassadors] Just an idea...

Mahmoud Abdul Jawad abduljawad.mahmoud at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 17:17:01 UTC 2010

in fact, what you said about the "web" part is the best option, however,
creating a AIR or Titanium is really bad idea.
a simple console based program can connect to the internet & get the
updates, & post them to dbus notifications, here is a python example of how
to use the dbus notifications:

import dbus
bus = dbus.SessionBus()
notifications = bus.get_object('org.freedesktop.Notifications',
'/org/freedesktop/Notifications')
interface = dbus.Interface(notifications, 'org.freedesktop.Notifications')
id = 4856
timeout = 2500
interface.Notify('name',id,'','summary','body','','',timout)