[Ambassadors] A few observations on the Fedora 13 CD covers

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Fri Aug 6 14:34:50 UTC 2010

Hi Ville-Pekka!

On Fri, 2010-08-06 at 16:23 +0300, Ville-Pekka Vainio wrote:
> I'm currently at the Linux booth at the Assembly demo party at Helsinki,
> Finland. I've noticed a few things about the CD covers we have.
>
> - I might be revisiting a really old discussion here, but because we
> have both KDE and "Desktop" (i.e. GNOME) live CDs here, some people seem
> to be confused about the GNOME CD being called "Desktop Live Media"
> while the KDE CD is called "KDE Desktop Live Media". I think it would be
> clearer if the GNOME/Desktop disk clearly said on the cover that it's
> GNOME.

The problem is that we want there to be one default Fedora so folks who
don't know what a desktop environment is or what GNOME or KDE means can
download Fedora without answering difficult questions they don't know
the answers to (e.g., 'do you want gnome or KDE?' 'do you want live or
dvd?' 'do you want x86 or x86_64 or ...?' Many people who would
otherwise be interested in trying Fedora would have no clue how to
answer any of those questions.

I think that the printed media should mirror the labeling on the website
which is why the GNOME version is labeled 'Desktop.'

That being said, the audience at a Linux conference (as opposed to other
conferences that we might be going to; eg I may be giving out Fedora
media at a design conference next year) is very likely to understand
what GNOME and KDE mean. So maybe the design team could produce a
sticker kit of small round stickers that say "KDE" and "GNOME" that
could be placed on the sleeves, specifically for Linux-oriented
conferences?

Just an idea....

> - Some people also seem to be confused about what "Live Media" means and
> they think they won't be able to install from a live CD. We also have
> Ubuntu CDs here and those don't say anything about being live media, so
> it might be better to either drop the live media thing completely or add
> "installable" or something like that on the cover.

Ah, I can see how the term would be confusing to folks who aren't
familiar with it. I really like your suggestion to use the term
'installable', and I think it makes a lot of sense, but I worry that
'Installable' vs 'Install DVD' is going to be confusing :(

I kind of think we should just provide live media and not DVDs, but I
don't know how other folks feel about that. It would make our basic
installation instructions a lot easier to follow, I think.

> - I've heard people say a couple of times that the Fedora CD covers look
> better than the Ubuntu ones :)

Yay :)

~m