[Ambassadors] A few observations on the Fedora 13 CD covers

Mahmoud Abdul Jawad abduljawad.mahmoud at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 13:20:22 UTC 2010

On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 10:01 AM, Mathieu Bridon
<bochecha at fedoraproject.org>wrote:

> Not only for simplifying the choices of people who download Fedora, but
> I think that from a marketing point of view, it is better to have one
> product as the default, and focus on advertising this one.
>

> So that would make us print both the media sleeve AND a sticker to stick
> on the sleeve right away?
>
> Maybe producing different media sleeves, with what would have been on
> the stickers already printed on it would make more sense? :)
>
> Exactly.
>
> To take an extreme example, if they can figure everything out by
> themselves, they won't ask us anything, and we could as well just leave
> some media on a table and go doing something else.
>
> People at a booth add some value, and everything that makes visitors ask
> questions should be viewed as a chance to open the conversation and
> transform them into users, or even contributors.
>
> That's what we've been doing for years in France.
>
> The amount of people asking for the install DVD is so small that we
> simply burn it on demand when someone really wants it and can't download
> it.
>

> --
> Mathieu

the fact that the users go for the default desktop, doesn't mean they are
not confused.
i believe the NEW users still confused even after burning the image. because
they will say "if this copy has a GUI desktop, what the version does
then??", or "it seems the other version doesn't have a GUI at all!!".
the default version should be the DVD version. other options can be the KDE
live media & GNOME live media. if the user doesn't know what is KDE or
GNOME, then, he should read a wiki page that helps him to understand the
meaning of desktop.

--
Regards,,
Mahmoud Abdul Jawad