[Ambassadors] Another Idea

Onyeibo Oku twohotis at fastmail.fm
Thu Aug 19 07:47:03 UTC 2010

Actually, This post should be directed to the fedora developers.
However, since I don't know how to get to them, I'll post it here and
hope someone will point the way.  I also suspect that some Ambassadors
are hackers.

THE ISSUE:
Its tough being an African.  After nearly a year with fedora I feel the
OS will thrive well here without one major setback: Internet Access.
People here depend on Cyber-cafes for on-line activities.  Most of those
run Windows.  Those who can afford a used desktop/laptop can't afford a
personal broadband plan (in Nigeria, mostly CDMA or GSM).

ONE WAY OUT:
About three (3) years ago, I was aggressively learning Ubuntu.  Being
determined, I frequented the cafe for dependencies, hoping with each
visit to satisfy the needs of an installation.  Often, it took 2-5
visits to get all dependencies.  It was an interesting experience --
bearable because the cafe was a walking distance from home and the
network was good.  Most people are not that privileged.

ANOTHER WAY:
I've often thought it would be nice to have a cross-platform
application/script that can get all the required dependencies for an
offline installation (a YUM away from the target host maybe, ... that
runs off a .exe (for windows), .sh (Linux) and .??? (for mac)).  Ubuntu
has Keryx ... while fedora has ... well ... none that I know of.  In the
absence of a dedicated app like that ... it would be nice to have a
script or yum plugin that outputs all possible deps (with links, maybe)
so wget can do the rest on a different box.  There is wget for Windows.
No, I dont mean "yum deplist <app>" BUT that could help, see link below.

JUST AN IDEA:
I don't know if I sounded stupid.  If so, I apologize beforehand.
Otherwise, what do you think and how can we achieve this?
I tried finding answers here:
Not conclusive.

Regards

Oku, Onyeibo