[Ambassadors] Another Idea

Neville A. Cross nacross at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 14:57:26 UTC 2010

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 8:04 AM, Onyeibo Oku <twohotis at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Oh, but you misunderstand the situation.
>
> Here, we discuss a PC without internet access. At most, it has performed
> the initial setup of yum cache/metadata ... but that's about it (often
> not the case). Subsequently, it must get its packages from another PC
> that is far away -- running Windoze (and you're not allowed to boot into
> live-USB)! The target PC should be able to list what is needed for a
> successful installation so the Administrator can download them while in
> town.  Something like that.

I have a couple of experiences to share...

For one installl fest what I did was to do a clean install in one PC,
then set up yum for not delete cache. After that I installed whatever
I guess may be handy. Later I dumped all cache to a dir, and used
createrepo for that dir. Burned all into a CD. At installation time it
was easy to setup the CD as a repository and install everything from
there. This may be used as a add-on CD for custom ising installation.
Think that you can even create your add-on using packages from
rpmfusion if you wish. At Nicaragua we were calling Blue Multi Media
Pack. Other good thing is that this will include updates to several
packages.

Another experience, was to use a LiveUSB at a Internet cafe. Set up to
not delete yum cache. Then you install on the liveUSB the packages
that you want and the you can copy to the desktop all files on cache
and use yum localinstall <package>

Hope this couple of experiences may be useful to some one at some
point were internet is bad

Best regards

--
Neville