[Ambassadors] What do you think? (was Re: fedoracommunity.org portal design)

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 22:13:53 UTC 2010

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 09:59:19AM -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Hi Zoltan,
> On Thu, 2010-08-19 at 07:29 +0200, Zoltan Hoppar wrote:
> > In additionally - here at Hungary - the HULUG has purchased storage
> > space for the hungarian fedora community... And we begun to develop
> > the site too. We will need the hu.fedoracommunity.org domain if its
> > possible.
> > Also, I have talked several .sk (slovenia) guys who also wants to
> > participate after this site has activated.
> >
> > Please give me guidance, criteria info and needs about the local
> > fedora site, and about the domain...
> The instructions for requesting a fedoracommunity.org domain are
> documented here:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Local_community_domains#Pre-purchased_domain
> I believe you start by emailing the advisory-board mailing list.

Actually, I think the best place to start is more like this order:

* Figure out what it is that you need to do in your community that you
  can't do on current Fedora infrastructure.  We can already provide
  language-specific wiki pages, mailing lists, IRC chat, and a way for
  your contributors to help translate the fedoraproject.org website
  into your language (if we don't already have it).

* If there's something left that you need, it's best to set up (or
  mock up a design of) the site that you want to create before you
  contact the Board.  That way when you do contact the Board, there's
  a visual representation of what you're proposing to build.  That
  helps the Board members offer appropriate guidance for things like
  trademarks, links back to Fedora, and so on.