[Ambassadors] Fedora Ambassadors Welcome

Tristan Santore tristan.santore at internexusconnect.net
Thu Dec 9 21:41:30 UTC 2010

On 09/12/10 19:49, Larry Cafiero wrote:
> 2010/12/9 Henrik Nordström <henrik at henriknordstrom.net
> <mailto:henrik at henriknordstrom.net>>
>

>     May I suggest a slight change in procedure, to have Joerg encourage the
>     new ambassadors to reply themselves to the welcome message, presenting
>     themselves? I think many interesting discussions can arise from such
>     introductions, and would welcome the new ambassadors far better than 700
>     welcome.
>

> While I don't want to seem unfriendly, I believe that having Ambassadors
> introducing themselves -- and the subsequent messages that would
> invariably follow -- would add to the traffic already on the list, which
> is what "Please do not send private 'Welcome' Messages to Ambassador
> List" tries to avoid.
>
> An ambassador is "introduced" by your clicking on his/her wiki page link
> in the announcement. If you feel inclined to welcome him/her, then
> e-mail him/her off-list.
>
> In fact, I would encourage this: If you find from the wiki that an
> ambassador lives near you and/or is someone you have something in common
> with (i.e., "I'm a Python programmer . . . ."), by all means contact
> them and welcome them into the realm.
>
> Larry Cafiero

A very strong +1

And also please keep in mind, that many of us have more than one mailing
list to keep an eye on, which is why I get frustrated by welcome
messages to the list. If it takes me 3 seconds to figure a message is a
welcome message, and that happens 100 times, if we were to allow this,
Id do nothing else all day long (or I would just unsubscribe).

Regards,
Tristan

--
Tristan Santore BSc MBCS
TS4523-RIPE
Tristan.Santore at internexusconnect.net

Former Thawte Notary
(Please note: Thawte has closed its WoT programme down,
and I am therefore no longer able to accredit trust)

TSantore at fedoraproject.org