[Ambassadors] What's really needed to be an Ambassador?

Larry Cafiero larry.cafiero at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 15:55:09 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 7:36 AM, Ryan Lewis <me at ryanlewis.net> wrote:

> John,
>
> I was speaking colloquially. The point I was making is that if we
> start adding all sorts of requirements onto what is required of an
> ambassador, you will start seeing volunteers turn away. I wasn't
> suggesting fedora is a social club, but that we do accept anyone who
> supports our values and wants to help. Supporting our values does not
> mean going to a FOSS conference once a year, or necessarily
> contributing to to the top six this or that.

I agree with this statement and I think that it makes a good point about how
Ambassadors participate at their own level of ability and comfort level,
whatever that may be (and that includes things like only "evangelizing"
among family and friends and taking breaks from working on the project
entirely to attend to more pressing personal matters, etc. The list can be
long). Further, I think that one's ability and comfort level changes over
time; hopefully (and ideally) one's ability to promote Fedora increases and
their comfort level changes in a way where they are more outgoing in their
participation. But if not, that's OK too.

You are always going to have those who will eat, drink and sleep Fedora, who
will continue to fight hard, climb mountains and run through walls for
Fedora. You are going to have those who do one thing for the project a year,
if that much, and feel that's enough. And then there's everyone in between.
The bottom line, though, remains that we are all Ambassadors striving for
the same goals.

Larry Cafiero