[Ambassadors] Usage of tags in Ambassadors list

Mathieu Bridon bochecha at fedoraproject.org
Mon Dec 20 18:42:49 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-12-20 at 19:27 +0100, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> Am Montag, den 20.12.2010, 19:18 +0200 schrieb Pierros Papadeas:
> > On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 6:59 PM, Christoph Wickert
> > <christoph.wickert at googlemail.com> wrote:

> > > If we do it like this, we should get rid of the [Ambassadors] prefix.
> > > There are enough headers that can be used for filtering in almost any
> > > email client, so [Ambassadors] is IMHO useless.
> >
> > It is not useless, as you can have a tag specified as [Ambassadors][EMEA] etc
>
> What benefit does it add over any other header. I only see it taking up
> the space on my display.
>
> IMHO we should disable the prefix in the mailing list settings. Most
> other Fedora mailing lists don't use it nether.

Same here.

Filtering is possible (and probably more robust) on the email headers,
so the [Ambassadors] tag in the subject is completely redundant.

Now for the proposed [EMEA] and co. tags, things are much different,
since those are additional informations provided by humans, that can't
be provided otherwise (the mailing-list software can't add email headers
for those since it has no way to know that the email only concerns EMEA
or NA or... folks).

--
Mathieu