[Ambassadors] Usage of tags in Ambassadors list

Clint Savage herlo at fedoraproject.org
Tue Dec 21 02:27:45 UTC 2010

2010/12/20 Henrik Nordström <henrik at henriknordstrom.net>:
> mån 2010-12-20 klockan 20:01 +0100 skrev Kévin Raymond:
>
>> +1 for removing the [Ambassadors] tag (filtering by mailing list
>> address is much more efficient)
>
> +1
>
> The tag is usually wasting 30% of the screen space available for
> subject, making it hard to manually filter on discussion level.
>
> Regards
> Henrik

As a late follower of the conversation above.  I would like to
respectfully disagree with the request to remove the 'Ambassadors' tag
from the subject line.

It does seem to me that many lists do actually *not* include the
header tag.  For me, the tag is a visual marker to indicate which list
is being used.  I am on so many lists and it is sometimes hard to
recall which list without some visual indicator.  Yes, I know the 'To'
address can help, but most of the friendly names of mailing lists,
like 'Fedora Design List <design-team at lists.fedoraproject.org>', or my
personal favorite 'For discussions about marketing and expanding the
fedora user base <marketing at lists.fedoraproject.org>', make it
difficult to determine the list to which the discussion belongs.  In
my mail client (gmail), these friendly names usually get cut down to
'Fedora' or 'For discussions'.  I would suspect that other mail
clients might handle this better, but I would also argue that many
here use gmail.

My other concern is that if we drop the 'Ambassadors' tag, it now puts
the onus on individuals to remember to put 'EMEA' or 'APAC' when they
want to emphasize something about a particular region.  While this
could be good for current members, what happens with new Ambassadors
and others who don't remember or don't realize that the tag isn't
automatic?

Just some food for thought.

Cheers,

Clint