[Ambassadors] Meeting Minute: FAmSCo Town Hall 2010-02-08

David Nalley david at gnsa.us
Tue Feb 9 18:31:17 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 1:02 PM, inode0 <inode0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 11:12 AM, Christoph Wickert
> <christoph.wickert at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Third: My question was not, what we or FAmSCo can do to support the
>> spins but if the FAmSCo members think there is enough commitment from
>> Red Hat.  Let me give you a few examples:
>>      * OpenSUSE had nice 24" touch screen computers at FOSDEM while
>>        Fedora usually has the laptops of the ambassadors or laptops
>>        that were sponsored by Dell for one particular event only.
>>      * Every OpenSUSE ambassador gets an ambassadors starter kit with a
>>        bag, a jacket, a shirt, a printed handbook, media and some more
>>        goodies.  Fedora ambassadors on the other hand have to pay for
>>        their polos them selves (at least in EMEA).
>
> Ok, I have been thinking about this some. I belong in the fat and
> happy camp at the moment. When I want something for ambassadors I
> don't seem to have very much trouble getting it if it has value. I've
> never considered asking for fancy computers for the booth or for
> ambassador starter kits that we don't make ourselves.
>
> So my initial reaction to this is that a nice professional starter kit
> would be good. Can ambassadors produce one that would fit our needs?
> Bags and jackets and things don't fall out of trees and we'll get
> nicer stuff if the people who care most about it produce it.
>
> How much impact did you perceive from the 24" touch screen computers?
> In NA we worked with HP to get a set of netbooks donated by HP for
> ambassadors to use at booths. We haven't tried to get anything else
> donated as far as I know but we could inquire into something more
> eye-catching. This is one area where computer vendors can contribute
> to Fedora and it really doesn't need to involve Red Hat doing
> anything.
>
> John

I'll add that the last numbers I see seem to suggest that 16,000
dollars remain in the comm arch budget for the quarter that ends in
just a few days.
That's 16,000 that could be spent, but hasn't. (and this may have
changed, but I haven't heard/seen anything that would suggest that
yet.
I don't know how things work elsewhere, but at least in NA (and I
assume EMEA, since we took a lot of our inspiration from EMEA) someone
has to want it bad enough to do the work involved, and the region as a
whole approves the money, and then it gets spent.
Max has given the Ambassadors a pretty free hand with spending money -
and sure, RHT isn't perfect, but that isn't an area I can find fault
with them.