[Ambassadors] Meeting Minute: FAmSCo Town Hall 2010-02-08

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 10 10:28:22 UTC 2010

Am Mittwoch, den 10.02.2010, 10:34 +0100 schrieb Matthias Kranz:
> On 02/10/2010 09:52 AM, Sascha Thomas Spreitzer wrote:
>
> > is Novell our best practice?
>
> The only thing I wanted to point out is that Novell is definitely
> spending more money than they earn.

Red Hat on the other hand is doing pretty well, but still they are
trying to cut costs.

> Which includes Marketing. Which
> includes all kinds of Community support.

I don't think that the kind of support I was naming as an example is
that expensive.

> > I think we are different, but the symbiosis of Fedora and RHT is due
> > to some bottlenecks in EMEA at the very moment very exhausting.
>
> I really don't know what you mean here. What bottlenecks are you
> referring to? And it sounds as if you extend the discussion to a wider
> field than before?

Not sure what Sascha means, but I think I pointed out some of the
bottlenecks in my first mail or in the townhall meeting.

But I forgot a group that is not supporting the spins: The board.  I was
told that the board decided that there will be no spins media due to the
limited budget.  Max on the other hand said will take the money for  the
media directly from the EMEA ambassadors bugdet.  This might be one of
the reasons why this request is stuck:  There is a conflict between both
decisions.  I wonder why the board never made their decision public and
why I had to learn about it from a Red Hat employee.

But recently things seem to change in the board.  There has been a lot
of discussions about our target audience and the spins, so I hope they
will reconsider their view and that this will influence other groups in
Fedora too.

> > Beware RHT, once the contributors are upset, they might consider a
> > strike? Or leave the project?
>  >
> > @Matthias; What would RHT do if EMEA strikes for 2 release cycles?
>
> I really don't know what you mean by "EMEA striking for 2 release cycles
> ...".

Well, he means just what he wrote: Going on strike. That would include
no updates from the package maintainers, no events from the ambassadors
and so on.

> The discussion is going into a wrong direction.

+1! I want a constructive discussion instead of threatening people.

> As others already
> pointed out. The Fedora Ambassador project has a decent budget which was
> (still is) not even totally used. So, if there are ideas how to spend it
> more effective and lasting, I am sure that the FAmSCO and its budget
> manager consider every constructive contribution.

This underlines my point of view that commitment is not only about money
but more important about personal engagement.

Regards,
Christoph