[Ambassadors] Fedora talk at University of Macedonia, Greece - Event report

Christos Bacharakis cmpahar at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 17:37:37 UTC 2010

This Sunday (14/2) I gave a talk/workshop about the Fedora project as an
operating system and a community of contributors.

In the first hour I described the Fedora as a leading community to the FOSS
world and generally how many cool stuff are happening here.  Later on I
showed them how easy and meanfull it is to be a Fedora project contributors
and I gave some examples about the Special Interest Groups.

After that I presented them the new cool futures of the Fedora 12 release
and how to create a Fedora 12 Live USB Stick.

The last one and a half hour the talk turned into a workshop where everybody
lived the Fedora 12 experience on their desktops. They had the opportunity
to learn how to install Fedora 12 from a livecd to the hard drive, to
explore the system and generally learn something new, simple and different
from their orange funky operating system they use to work. The audience were
actually 25 Ubuntu users and after the talk I received many positive
comments about the Fedora Project.

During the talk there were 2 GREAT (female) volunteers who were interpreting
everything into Greek Sign Language. This is a new perspective which must be
adopted by everyone. The whole presentation was recorded (+the girls) and it
will be published soon.

I really want to thank GreekLUG[1] who invited me and in that point I want
to mention that the guys are making a really good work here in Thessaloniki.

In the future we are planning at least 2 more talks, one of them regarding
OLPC and Sugar.

You can find my presentation’s slides here[2]. Some photos are from Fosdem
and shotted by Luca Foppiano[3].

P.S.: I own you a Fosdem recap too. I’ll write/publish it soon

[1] http://greeklug.gr/
[2] http://cmpahar.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/fedora-talk-greeklug.pdf
[3] http://flickr.com/lfoppiano

--