[Ambassadors] [FOSDEM'10] Mozilla/Fedora cooperation talk for FOSDEM'10 needed.

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 16:56:02 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 08:16:05PM +0100, Frederic Hornain wrote:
>    Dear Pierros,
>
>    Ok this is the situation, as the rules for distributions have changed at
>    FOSDEM'10. Now, we have three dev room to share with other distributions.
>    So that is why I was looking for speakers who can talk about subject which
>    could interest other distributions.
>    Now, the talk proposals deadline was yesterday.
>    However, i received a call from Mozilla Foundation if we could be
>    interested to do a talk together.
>    The idea behind that is to put special emphasis on collaborations between
>    Fedora and other open source projects.
>
>    So it would be great if you could make a talk about what we could do to
>    improve the collaboration between Mozilla and Fedora.
>    In addition, it will be an innovation in comparison with iother
>    distribution in we can do it in the Mozilla devroom. ;)
>
>    So, in conclusion, if you accept the mission i would be really happy.
>
>    Max and Paul are in cc, just to let them know.

Although Christopher Aillon probably will not be at FOSDEM to give a
talk, as the maintainer for some Mozilla products in Fedora, I'd
recommend that any speaker consult with him on the topic.

One example of where we have collaborated above the level of packaging
and development is with open video:

http://www.0xdeadbeef.com/weblog/2009/11/why-open-video-2/

Red Hat's "Monty" Montgomery worked directly with the Xiph Foundation
and Mozilla on codec improvements to empower content creators
worldwide, and the newencoder was featured early in Rawhide and in now
in the Fedora 12 release.  That's a valuable story that could use more
exposure.

Also, there's a video of Monty here:

http://www.youtube.com/redhatvideos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K5z0Ff8Zis

I know there are Ogg versions available but I haven't had a chance to
locate them yet.  I'll get back to the list with those URLs.