[Ambassadors] Links and Logs Fedora Ambassador NA meeting yesterday TEXAS update and my $0.02

David Duncan dduncan at rubackedup.com
Thu Jan 28 05:06:25 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 7:56 AM, scott mcbrien <smcbrien at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all, wanted to provide the links to the meeting details from last night.

<snip! >

> 02:21:03 <cwtucker> Texas indeed
> 02:21:03 <cwtucker> VileGent: yes, sorry internet issues for a min
> 02:21:09 <inode0> oh, not on the events page
> 02:21:17 <VileGent> exactly
> 02:21:35 <StabbyMc> inode0: what is the purpose of a Fedora Ambassador Day?
> 02:21:39 <inode0> I'm sure it just isn't there yet
> 02:21:51 <xm4nfedoralinux> so we are still on the events before Texas
> Linux Fest?
> 02:22:03 <inode0> xm4nfedoralinux: yes, hold on
> 02:22:15 <xm4nfedoralinux> ok. brb
<snip!>

> 02:25:01 <inode0> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Texas:LinuxFest_2010
> 02:25:08 <mock> makfinsky: the cake is a lie
> 02:25:28 <inode0> We are going to have a nice presence at the 1st
> Texas Linux Fest I hope
> 02:25:54 <inode0> Anyone interested should sign up and chat with me or
> David Duncan (davdunc) about helping

Apologies for not making the meeting.  I have a class that ends just
after the meeting begins.

> 02:26:10 <cwtucker> Definitely interested, and will be involved
> 02:26:17 <inode0> CFP is in progress now so if you plan to go please
> consider proposing a talk
> 02:27:00 <inode0> I have set aside 400 pieces of F12 media to ship to
> TLF pending talking to David about the appropriateness of that number
> 02:28:08 <inode0> We need the ground troops to tell us what is needed
> in terms of other swag and booth help

I spoke with the coordinators just yesterday.  They have  two ticket
prices and the higher price ticket comes with a goodie bag.  They have
requested that we contribute a flier for the bag if we can and
possibly some stickers.  They are expecting the ticket price with
schwag to be affordable, probably around $45 for the whole thing.

I did not find an updated flier at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing_Fedora_flyer#Fedora_Marketing_-_Flyer
 perhaps there is somewhere else to look?

> 02:28:14 <cwtucker> Expecting a fairly large turnout
> 02:28:16 <inode0> We will definitely have a booth

.org booth fee is $100.00.  Standard booth fee is $500.00
I assume we are going to submit for the former?

> 02:28:59 <VileGent> is a event box or banners needed
> 02:29:12 <inode0> on a tangent to TLF I'd like to encourage people
> there to nose around and make as many contacts as possible with a site
> for a future FUDCon in mind :)

will do.  Matt Domsch has been really helpful to me and has offered a
lot of personal support for organizing this.  I suggest the same
location where the Lone Star Ruby Conference has been held in the
past, the Norris Conference Center.  They have reasonable rates and a
very helpful staff and catering.

> 02:29:22 <cwtucker> I will get with David and see where/what he needs
> me to do to help him

Thanks cwtucker.  I believe that our responsiblities will lie in booth
setup and participation on the floor.
The conference really needs paper submissions.  45 and 25 minute
presentations are ideal.  If anyone would like to present, that would
be super.

> 02:30:00 <inode0> Austin always comes up as a place for FUDCon and the
> one thing that seems to hold it back is not having a suitable site for
> the event itself
> 02:30:51 <inode0> shall we move on?

> 02:36:31 <threethirty> inode0: good point, South By would be a good
> place to show off what we (royal we) do
> 02:36:53 <inode0> it is a bunch of events and one of the big ones is
> the interactive part
> 02:36:58 <threethirty> StabbyMc: its expanded to many other things but
> yes its *that* sxsw
> 02:37:09 <inode0> http://sxsw.com/interactive
> 02:37:30 <inode0> this would be interesting to designers, right mizmo?
> 02:37:53 <mizmo> inode0: absolutely

<snip!>

> 02:38:05 <inode0> anthro-diana: ping if you are available just chime in here
> 02:38:22 <mizmo> it would be a good opportunity to present a case for
> free software to the design community
> 02:38:28 <mizmo> which we have not done much of
> 02:38:28 <anthro-diana> There is a very large design faction and even
> a bit of a design tract at the conference
> 02:38:50 <ke4qqq> so we could potentially garner talented capable
> design contributors??
> 02:38:56 <anthro-diana> I as a designer have attended for the last 2 years
> 02:38:58 <anthro-diana> Yes
> 02:39:01 <inode0> so this isn't the normal event for us, but it would
> promote Fedora, it would benefit Fedora contributors, and it would
> reach an audience that is likely sympathetic to us but perhaps not
> aware of us

I see a lot of big interactive projects hosted on Red Hat and CentOS.
I have not seen any on Fedora.  Linux is gaining ground in ontology
hosting.    I think that Fedora is important to them.  Is anyone doing
something like an OWASP spin  or using Fedora-Commons on Fedora?  It
would be great to see something semantic or security related in our
booth.

> 02:39:14 <anthro-diana> There is also a large open source contingent there
> 02:39:26 <ke4qqq> who is that contingent?
> 02:39:36 <anthro-diana> it differs from year to year
> 02:39:42 <anthro-diana> not necessary sponsored by any company
> 02:39:50 <VileGent> we are to spread fedora even to places that we
> might not be the most comfortable
> 02:40:05 <threethirty> like macworld :)
> 02:40:15 <anthro-diana> There are the usual players as well
> 02:40:27 <inode0> actually I think SXSW would be very comfortable with Fedora
> 02:40:29 <anthro-diana> but software is definitely a focus
> 02:40:51 <inode0> it just isn't a place we normally show up
> 02:41:21 <crossbytes> so has someone been to this SXSW it looks very
> interesting?
> 02:41:30 <xm4nfedoralinux> so who is attending TLF
> 02:42:29 <inode0> crossbytes: anthro-diana just talked about attending
> 02:42:38 <threethirty> crossbytes: i havent been their personally but
> i have follwed it on the net and it looks like a cool event, ive been
> wanting to go for years
> 02:42:54 <anthro-diana> there is also the side event of Bar Camp Austin
> 02:43:03 <inode0> ok, there is a second part of this story ... oops
> 02:43:13 <anthro-diana> :)
> 02:43:13 <makfinsky> Bar Camp?
> 02:43:22 <makfinsky> As in making drinks?
> 02:43:46 <inode0> so there is a barcamp we can have a normal presence at
> 02:44:16 <inode0> Is everyone ok with spreading our event wings a bit
> to try to reach some new audiences?

The BarCamp is great here.  The problem is that it usually forms and
happens within a 2 to 3 week period and it is over in one weekend.
Very little planning time from event announcement to start date
historically.  We need to be ready before they announce - if they do.

> 02:44:22 <StabbyMc> bar camp, the concept: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bar_camp
> 02:44:51 <inode0> http://barcamp.org/BarCampAustin <- last year's link
> 02:44:51 <makfinsky> inode0: Agreed.
> 02:45:07 <cwtucker> inode0: sounds good
> 02:45:43 * inode0 asks mizmo and anthro-diana to come up with a plan :)

< snip! >

> 02:49:47 <anthro-diana> the barcamp is like the open source version of SXSW
> 02:49:50 <StabbyMc> Any other event based items that were not on the agenda?
> 02:50:02 <anthro-diana> SXSWi is generally cost prohibitive to many people
> 02:50:07 <nullsys> I do have something small, but I dont know how much
> it will affect US people.
> 02:50:20 <anthro-diana> so a lot of people just go to Austin to attend
> the BC that benefits from the overflow of SXSWi

<snip! >

> 02:50:52 <StabbyMc> anthro-diana: I can see that; travel to Austin
> around the time of SxSW is also rather prohibitive.
> 02:51:17 <anthro-diana> I've found roommates on Twitter just so that I
> could attend :)
> 02:51:51 <anthro-diana> My badge is comped this year, so I am already
> going, I also have a suite already reserved in hopes to be able to
> share it with roommates

Travel to Austin around this time must be planned in advance - way in
advance.  I have had trouble flying to even Birmingham AL during SXSW.
 AMTrack is an easy ride down from Dallas, though.  It has wireless
internet all the way.

<snip! to end>

--
David Duncan